I am a big fan of the walking dead in theory; the actual show is another story. I thought I felt differently about ’We’re Alive’, but as time goes on I am beginning to see how similar the two shows are, especially in their portrayal of women. Why is it that women are always portrayed as stereotypes – unable to help themselves or stand on their own two feet?

I can’t stand Pegs – whiny, irrational (who lets personal issues stand in the way of SURVIVING the apocalypse by learning to use a gun??!! Oh right, a woman. Of course.) Neither she nor Kelly are capable of any real decision making without the help of a male leader. And WTF happened to Hope? She went from sweet blind girl to incessant nag.

The moment a woman does begin to claim some power or strength in the show, she is immediately degraded by being portrayed as crazy or a bitch. We see this with the only ‘strong’ women in the entire show – Riley and CJ. I really had high hopes for Riley, she was interesting, courageous and resourceful. I think my disillusion with the show really began as her melt down did. She tried to kill herself? She’s suddenly an alcoholic? WHY?!? She has made it through so much, she used to be a soldier and NOW she has a break. Seriously?! CJ is also a great leader, but then she is sexualized and her obsession with Saul makes her seem like a nice combination of crazy/bitch (she tries to seduce a man searching for his pregnant girlfriend for pete’s sake!).

I understand the male characters have military experience and this makes them natural leaders in any war-like scenario, but Scratch has 0 experience and has been more or less leading a group of raucous prisoners with relative success (if success is defined by still being alive). She, of course, is portrayed as the ultimate bitch.

Has anyone else out there, male or female, noticed the same thing? Why can’t a woman be a Saul or a Michael without being crazy and/or a bitch?! Ghhhhhaaahh!