Hi again!

By and large, in my opinion the characters - by that I mean Team Good - had a lot of luck when it comes to preserving their humanity. There has always been an convenient explanation for the use of force, mainly due to the actions of the zeehs or the mallers.

But what about the darker side of the main characters. What if someone at the tower had decided to defect to the mallers at the beginning of the story, would Michael/Saul/Burt have stopped him/her? What means would they have applied? Ok, this whole scenario does not seem very likely, but to me the mallers seemed to be in a far better position than those people at the tower. Would have the purpose justified the means if a - let's say - hunting party had made the defector return to the tower or even had the defector killed to prevent the mallers from benefitting from his knowledge?

Or, on the other hand, what if there had been a situation in which Burt had the chance to kill Scratch not only in cold blood but also in a very ugly, twisted and cruel way - would that have changed you way of judging Burt? Or would this have been ok because, uhmm frankly - we are talking of Burt?

How much "scratchyness" do you grant to the main characters in a zombie story and their actions before they become too dark?