So I started listening to the whole series again, because of this painfully long absence, and started to piece certain things together that I didn't even notice before. Excuse my lack of a timeline in placing these thoughts but I'm forming these points up as I type em, lol
SPOILER 

My thoughts now:

Ink is part of an experiment that used convicts to do [insert evil plot here]. Ink and Durai probably share a past together, but once Ink became one of them Durai became top in comand of the rest of the convicts. Durai is probably agains the whole zombie experiment thing (personal vendetta?) and as such knows exactly where and how to hit them hard enough, thus he comes up with a plan to attack extremely early on. Another note someone made in here is that it makes no sense how so many places where raided so fast, and how Scratch managed to free her brother and every one in time enough to survive the massive spread of disease. {Original Thread: Anyone ever wonder how the maulers raided everything so quickly?}
If they are connected, then maybe the convicts where released on purpose with time to escape, or where free (because of the experiment) at the time of the breakout, which would have made it easier for them to leave the prison.
Any takes on this?