PDA

View Full Version : the W/A finale convoy!

Pages : 1 [2]

Litmaster
Feb 4th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Oh great! So that means I gotta be that dumbassed Pippin??!?

tonyhind86
Feb 4th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Oh great! So that means I gotta be that dumbassed Pippin??!?

The part for Smeagol is still vacant, surely Pippin is the lesser of two evils?

Though you have been a wizard with your planning skills - you can be Gandalf :D

katlero
Feb 4th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Hey guys! Just read all 9 pages of this and I AM SO IN! Already have my parents lined up to watch my kiddo for the weekish we would be gone and my tax refund will be my funds (hooray kiddo exemptions!). I live in Lawrence, KS. Bout a 5 hr drive to St. Louis from here. If you guys want more I am IN!!!

7oddisdead
Feb 4th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Right on!

w/a musical flash mob!

wait...did I say that out loud?!?!?!

I mean camping! Beer! Adventure!

katlero
Feb 4th, 2014, 04:24 PM
OH we can make that happen! Drunk dancing zombies are the best.

I do worry I may end up the Pegs of this little group though (choreographer..... and no weapons experience!) Who's writing the overall script for the trip?

Slightly fan-girling right now after reading all of this. :D

7oddisdead
Feb 4th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Script for the "fictional" convoy is all litmaster, with of course our own input as to our characters, etc.

script for the real convoy is all for one. We plan to document everything possible.

and not to worry, even pegs has her place...and a pretty important one at that. Glad to have ya!

Litmaster
Feb 4th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Ok, Lurkers and Latecomers! If anyone is still not sure what this 'We're Alive Convoy' is all about, let me direct you to the basic itinerary:

HERE ON PAGE 11 OF THIS THREAD (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page11),
AND HERE ON PAGE 16 OF THIS THREAD (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page16).

Also more details can be found on 7ODD'S BLOG RIGHT HERE (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/entry.php?358-state-of-the-convoy-the-devil-is-in-the-details).

Read all that and that should get you basically up to speed on what we are planning.

katlero
Feb 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Just read through 7odd's blog to make sure I understood it all. Name's Katie by the way. Don't think I actually have my name listed anywhere.

Witch_Doctor
Feb 4th, 2014, 07:18 PM
don't worry about the flashlight then, pretty sure I have that on lock.

actually that brings up a good point. it might be a good idea to fire out ideas on what all I should have for the camping amenities. im pretty sure I have all the bases covered, but two-ten brains are better than one! everyone fire out ideas, ill start taking notes.

How does one...um.... poop in the woods? Would we need toilet paper? Of course we can pick that up along the way (Not like I was planning to bring some with me on the plane.)

7oddisdead
Feb 4th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Yea, that's handled. Actually most all campsites have legit bathrooms with showers included. So were not entirely "roughin' it"

Litmaster
Feb 5th, 2014, 05:31 AM
How does one...um.... poop in the woods? Would we need toilet paper? Of course we can pick that up along the way (Not like I was planning to bring some with me on the plane.)

Never been campin', eh? Well, son, pull up a tree stump and lemme school 'ya in how it's done when we're out roughin' it....

Now, when you git yerself out in Mother Nature and you feel the urge to start crappin', you get three basic choices:

1. You can do it Old School style and just shit yer pants, then amble bow-legged down to the nearest creek, where you can then peel off 'dem brown skivvies and beat 'em onna rock till most'a the stains come out...

2. You can be like 'dem City Slickers and go cop a squat over a badger hole in the ground (make sure he ain't home so he don't come up n' bite yer ass), after which you can scrape yer backside clean with a chunk o' tree bark...

3. Or, you can use one of the many fully-equipped bathroom facilities on site, outfitted with toilets, showers, electricity, hot running water, automated hand dryers, and laundry facilities.

Hope that helps. :D

Litmaster
Feb 5th, 2014, 07:10 AM
7odd: <br />
<br />
For camping supplies, we won't need a whole hell of a lot. Here's some things we need to consider: <br />
<br />
Tent(s) <br />
Don't forget the poles, like dumbass Lit did once in Wisconsin. Hopefully...

7oddisdead
Feb 5th, 2014, 09:36 AM
yea, I have all the bases covered, then. but its probly best to spitball those sorts of things before every shows up. I can help the charging items on the road situation as well... power inverter....

tonyhind86
Feb 5th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I'll be keeping my luggage to a minimum to save space, and because it will be more practical. When we're camping, I'll wash my laundry in a creek and turn my smalls inside out :)

Gooer
Feb 5th, 2014, 10:46 AM
turn my smalls inside out :)

Lovely.

tonyhind86
Feb 5th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Lovely.

It's nice to know I've given you a pleasant image to think about :D

katlero
Feb 5th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Already started my one suitcase only planning. And minimal sized at that! However, can we make sure there's room for my Industrial Strength HOT AIR hair dryer? I can't live without it!!

tonyhind86
Feb 5th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Already started my one suitcase only planning. And minimal sized at that! However, can we make sure there's room for my Industrial Strength HOT AIR hair dryer? I can't live without it!!

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'll be talking so much, my hot air will put any dryer to shame :D

katlero
Feb 5th, 2014, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'll be talking so much, my hot air will put any dryer to shame :D

Wonder if you can talk zombies to death....

tonyhind86
Feb 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Wonder if you can talk zombies to death....

I could talk them back to life :yay:

And dry hair at the same time :yay:

7oddisdead
Feb 5th, 2014, 06:55 PM

cool with me, I might need to borrow it for this megaladon of hair living on my face ;)

katlero
Feb 5th, 2014, 07:20 PM
cool with me, I might need to borrow it for this megaladon of hair living on my face ;)

You and Redbeard are more than welcome to use the hair dryer. Have to keep you boys looking pretty for this audio drama!

7oddisdead
Feb 5th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I have a face for audio, and a photogenic beard...i can't win :Nik:

katlero
Feb 5th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I see an entire photography series with just your beard in various stops along this trip....

scbubba
Feb 6th, 2014, 05:10 AM
The convoy hasn't even gotten underway and I already miss you guys.... :hsugh:

tonyhind86
Feb 6th, 2014, 06:53 AM
The more I read - the more excited I'm getting!

Elisa
Feb 6th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Hey Guys - I saw these fotos today and thought of your convoy...

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcYEiKfRSHqgAf8qJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzcW g2bGRtBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM1MTk5Zjg5NWIwNzAy YTU2NWIwNDEzNmU4YmJhNzA5ZgRncG9zAzE2BGl0A2Jpbmc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dfort%2Birwin%2Bimage%2Bsign%26fr% 3Dchrf-yff16%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D16&w=250&h=237&imgurl=www.renewbl.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2009%2F08%2Ffort-irwin-sign.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.renewbl.com%2F2009%2F08%2F03 %2Fus-army-developing-a-500-mw-solar-power-plant-in-the-mojave-desert.html&size=16.1KB&name=%3Cb%3Efort%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3Eirwin%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3Esign%3C%2Fb%3E&p=fort+irwin+image+sign&oid=5199f895b0702a565b04136e8bba709f&fr2=piv-web&fr=chrf-yff16&tt=%3Cb%3Efort%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3Eirwin%3C%2Fb%3E-%3Cb%3Esign%3C%2Fb%3E&b=0&ni=200&no=16&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=139c67fp7&sigb=13g45nvv7&sigi=11ur9clqu&.crumb=8T7J2MGorLr&fr=chrf-yff16

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcYEiKfRSHqgAicqJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzM2 1iazBxBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMyNWFlZGU4ZWRjODZi YTQyNDdjNjZlZTFmYTQ4NmU5OQRncG9zAzI2BGl0A2Jpbmc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dfort%2Birwin%2Bimage%2Bsign%26fr% 3Dchrf-yff16%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D26&w=500&h=340&imgurl=farm8.staticflickr.com%2F7003%2F6810584841_ 0f1d4e8ba2_z.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fcaivib osoup%2F6810584841%2F&size=151.1KB&name=%3Cb%3EFort+Irwin%3C%2Fb%3E%2C+CA+|+Flickr+-+Photo+Sharing!&p=fort+irwin+image+sign&oid=25aede8edc86ba4247c66ee1fa486e99&fr2=piv-web&fr=chrf-yff16&tt=%3Cb%3EFort+Irwin%3C%2Fb%3E%2C+CA+|+Flickr+-+Photo+Sharing!&b=0&ni=200&no=26&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11kfo95je&sigb=13gkm67h0&sigi=11nn6nur0&.crumb=8T7J2MGorLr&fr=chrf-yff16

katlero
Feb 6th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Random camping tip! Use dryer lint as a quick and efficient fire starter, plus it smells nice! You think we can gather enough between now and July? :D

7oddisdead
Feb 6th, 2014, 04:55 PM
I'll have that handled. :nik:

katlero
Feb 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Just submitted my time off request for work! You guys are stuck with me now! I'm with you Tony.... just a tad excited.

7oddisdead
Feb 7th, 2014, 01:05 PM
cool beans. hopefully within the next week or so I'll have a new blog up with some more information

nothing terribly new, just a bit more streamlined as far as the plans go, supply updates, etc

tonyhind86
Feb 7th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Just submitted my time off request for work! You guys are stuck with me now! I'm with you Tony.... just a tad excited.

Before you get too excited, just remember, I called shotgun first :)

Good to have you aboard!

Witch_Doctor
Feb 8th, 2014, 10:06 AM
3. Or, you can use one of the many fully-equipped bathroom facilities on site, outfitted with toilets, showers, electricity, hot running water, automated hand dryers, and laundry facilities.

Hope that helps. :D

That's cheating, but hey. Thanks.

Witch_Doctor
Feb 8th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Do you know who else wanted to have two vehicles to accommodate passengers and supplies? So, who's gonna be &quot;Albatross&quot; and who's gonna be &quot;Chicken Little?&quot;

tonyhind86
Feb 8th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Do you know who else wanted to have two vehicles to accommodate passengers and supplies? So, who's gonna be "Albatross" and who's gonna be "Chicken Little?"

I've adopted the callsign "Penguin", because my local team plays in black & white colours.

Deacon_Tyler
Feb 10th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I would be happy to take some photos of everyone in L.A.!

tonyhind86
Feb 12th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I would be happy to take some photos of everyone in L.A.!

That would be great! We will be owners of a kick-ass photo album by the end of the trip

Red Shirt
Feb 12th, 2014, 08:24 PM
I have a bit of an update concerning my attendance in LA... Today I have probably, finally found a unit to drill with local to me. I visited one in person today and it looks promising. I'll be attending drill with them in March as a visitor, pending an interview with the commander, I'll be allowed to join. This unit's Annual Training is in June and this will be a bit of a boost to my finances.

Although my convoy attendance is still on the iffy side, it's looking pretty good for a flight to LA.

Litmaster
Feb 13th, 2014, 03:17 AM
I have a bit of an update concerning my attendance in LA... Today I have probably, finally found a unit to drill with local to me. I visited one in person today and it looks promising. I'll be attending drill with them in March as a visitor, pending an interview with the commander, I'll be allowed to join. This unit's Annual Training is in June and this will be a bit of a boost to my finances.

Although my convoy attendance is still on the iffy side, it's looking pretty good for a flight to LA.

Don't forget that we're organizing a fan meetup on the Friday evening before the Saturday live event. So even if you can't make the convoy, you can still meet up with everyone in LA.

tonyhind86
Feb 13th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Don't forget that we're organizing a fan meetup on the Friday evening before the Saturday live event. So even if you can't make the convoy, you can still meet up with everyone in LA.

And there's the Afterparty aswell. It will be one heck of an epic weekend :D

Kc
Feb 14th, 2014, 03:54 PM
UPDATE! The venue is just a week away from being locked.
Here is the address.
1367 N. St. Andrews Place Los Angeles, CA 90028-8529

The deposit goes in next week hopefully.

EDIT:
Might this be a good place to stay that night?
Super 8 Hollywood La Area1536 N Western Ave
Hollywood, CA 90027

7oddisdead
Feb 14th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Awesome.

LITMASTER!!!!WE HAVE WORK TO DO!!!

edit: only issue I see is the super8 does not have a conference room or something we could use for a Friday fan meet up. As far as rooms, distance, and other things go its perfect...ill look into this more over the weekend.

7oddisdead
Feb 14th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Nevermind, I think I've found a couple options for that.(fan meet up thing)

if everyone likes it. That's what we go with...i say

Kc
Feb 14th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Nevermind, I think I've found a couple options for that. ^

if everyone likes it. That's what we go with...i say

There's a slight chance we might go to the bar next door, so that isn't bad. That's still up in the air, but we'll see.

7oddisdead
Feb 14th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Exactly. After some searching of the local area..theres a ton of options within walking distance. Well, walking back may be interesting...but nevertheless

Litmaster
Feb 14th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Okay, thanks. I'm on it. I'll be investigating options over the next couple of days. Todd, text me with anything tangible you came up with so far.

Deacon_Tyler
Feb 14th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Yet another reason I wish we lived in L.A. instead of Vegas; We have thousands of square feet of room at our photography studio! <br />
<br />
Plus, there would be no charge!

Litmaster
Feb 14th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Aw..... Sheeeeeit....

Eviebae
Feb 14th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Awesome.

LITMASTER!!!!WE HAVE WORK TO DO!!!

edit: only issue I see is the super8 does not have a conference room or something we could use for a Friday fan meet up. As far as rooms, distance, and other things go its perfect...ill look into this more over the weekend.

This makes me think of conventions...do you guys ever think there will be a We're Alive convention?

Red Shirt
Feb 14th, 2014, 07:44 PM
This makes me think of conventions...do you guys ever think there will be a We're Alive convention?

Between the live event, the Friday night fan meetup, the convoy and a WA tour of LA... it sounds like it's already starting to shape up to be one.

EDIT:
Might this be a good place to stay that night?
Super 8 Hollywood La Area1536 N Western Ave
Hollywood, CA 90027

Looks reasonable... I had a peek at Google maps, it looks to be about what? Three blocks from the venue? That's easily doable. Even when a bar next to the venue is taken into consideration. I've walked further than that in Korea during/after a night on the town.

For those that may be flying into the city, what would you recommend for getting to the hotel from the airport? Taxi or public transportation?

tonyhind86
Feb 15th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I won't have time to sleep, I'll be too busy drinking in the experience. I'm gonna have serious jetlag when I get back to the UK :nik:

Litmaster
Feb 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I won't have time to sleep, I'll be too busy drinking in the experience. I'm gonna have serious jetlag when I get back to the UK :nik:

I'll be too busy drinking. And having an experience. :nik:

tonyhind86
Feb 15th, 2014, 09:26 AM
I'll be too busy drinking. And having an experience. :nik:

Between us, our drinking would keep a cruise liner afloat :nik:

Litmaster
Feb 15th, 2014, 10:43 AM
:nik:

tonyhind86
Feb 15th, 2014, 12:18 PM

This smiley will never grow old

Gooer
Feb 15th, 2014, 02:11 PM

This smiley will never grow old

I have to agree.....

tonyhind86
Feb 15th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I have to agree.....

:nik: yup

Litmaster
Feb 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM
hellz yeah :nik:

Elisa
Feb 16th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Five o clock theatre is in east Hollywood. Be careful y'all but if you are street smart and use common sense you should be fine. How's the parking there KC?

Elisa
Feb 16th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Taxi or privately owned airport shuttle companies is easiest from lax. The airport is not close to Hollywood. Another cheaper option is to take the flyaway bus to union station and then the red line to Hollywood and western stop then walk to super 8 motel. You need to reserve flyaway or airport shuttles in advance. Ask me anything. I'm a local.

tonyhind86
Feb 16th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Taxi or privately owned airport shuttle companies is easiest from lax. The airport is not close to Hollywood. Another cheaper option is to take the flyaway bus to union station and then the red line to Hollywood and western stop then walk to super 8 motel. You need to reserve flyaway or airport shuttles in advance. Ask me anything. I'm a local.

In relation to the venue of the finale event, where is the closest place that would be suitable, or recommended, for us all to convene and have a drink/bite to eat?

Elisa
Feb 16th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Hmmm let me look around

tonyhind86
Feb 16th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Hmmm let me look around

Thanks! I'll buy you a beer on the day :)

Elisa
Feb 18th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Okay guys - the Super 8 hotel in East Hollywood is basic, cheap for the area but kinda seedy. The parking is tight with small oriented spaces that is really good for small cars. Don't expect much. Right next store is the Whitehorse Inn Bar and it is a dive but apparently has decent hot dogs, overpriced drinks (typical hollyweird), not too crowded and I think would probably be a good meeting place for us. Parking is tough and I guess alot of people try and park at the hotel lol. The place opens at 6pm. I personally have never been to the Super 8 nor Whitehorse and it is kinda scary especially for non LA people and us women folk.

If this is too scary or seedy, another option is to take the metro/red line and we can all meet at Tin Horn Flats (Highland and Hollywood). Tinhorn Flats Saloon & Grill

Address: 1724 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90028. I go there a lot to meetup with my soccer social club (Real Madrid fans). The food is good, happy hour is cheap and the drinks are decent. It is reasonably safe at night.

It is real close to the red line metro/ Hollywood and Highland stop. You can also park on the side on Yucca St and get it validated by Tin Horn for 2 hours free. You can move your car before the 2 hours are up and get it validated again. (Yes we do this a lot.) :D

Thoughts?

MGM Ray
Feb 18th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Todd and Litmaster,

I went through the thread here and saw a whole lot of great plans and ideas for an amazing adventure with much more yet to come I'm sure. What I did not see, was anyone suggesting an independent documentary film crew to film and release this unfolding event as a potential documentary. This is exactly the type of movie I would click and watch while searching through Netflix, Hulu Plus or any other film database.

I'm a big fan of documentaries and there have got to be quite a few groups and film crews who I think would jump at the chance to do just this sort of thing. Kc Wayland has some documentary background also http://www.darkhollowfilms.com/bootsonground/bootsonground/Boots_on_Ground.html. I'm quite sure Kc has his hands full at the moment, but he may have the connections you need or at least point you in the right direction.

In my mind I see the exposure for the We're Alive audio drama and the travel adventure documentary being a huge win for all involved. I wish I could offer more than just the idea but it came to me in a moment of clarity while browsing this thread.

"ZOMBIE CARAVAN" the movie............................................

Just a thought,

Ray

Litmaster
Feb 18th, 2014, 03:46 PM
"ZOMBIE CARAVAN" the movie...

Wow. Now there's an intriguing idea...

Litmaster
Feb 18th, 2014, 03:58 PM
http://media-social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/00250065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d2-0000-0000-000000000000_20130614192252_FatAlbert.jpg

Hey Kids!

WONDERING what this We're Alive Convoy thing is all about?
MISSED the beginning part of this long thread?
CONFUSED about all the details of the trip?

NEVER FEAR! LITMASTER is here!! All you need to do to get up to speed is to review the itinerary from my posts here on

PAGE 11 OF THIS THREAD (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page11), and

PAGE 16 OF THIS THREAD (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!/page16).

Also, check out 7ODDISDEAD'S BLOG (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/entry.php?358-state-of-the-convoy-the-devil-is-in-the-details) for more details. Then you'll be up to speed on the basics!

http://www.ronmartin.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/time-ticking.jpg

Litmaster
Feb 18th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Ok Convoyites, we have some decisions to make. I have been researching the actual time and distance involved in this journey, and must say that it's somewhat daunting. This is just one big-ass hunk of land we have to traverse on the way to LA... even traveling only half of it. I need some input as to what the group is willing to do, given the logistics. Here we go:

Wednesday, 7/16:
So we're gonna have to leave Todd's place by 7am to make good time, which, driving straight without stopping except for bathroom breaks, puts us passing Tulsa around 1pm. But then Tulsa to Amarillo is another 5 hours, which has us pulling in to the Cadillac Ranch around 6pm that evening. Dinner is only 15 min away, however, so we're good for the Big Texan Steak ranch by 7pm that evening, and our campground in Amarillo is only about 10 min from that restaurant. So what I'm saying is that the caverns is probably not do-able given the time and distance involved...

Thursday, 7/17:
Well... it's looking like Roswell, NM is also going to be out. Assuming we leave our Amarillo campground by 7am and drive straight to Albuquerque, that puts our arrival at 10am (a 4 hr trip, minus one hour b/c we switch to mountain time by then). So fine, we do the ABQ Breaking Bad tour for a few hours, and leave ABQ by 1pm. Driving straight to the Grand Canyon from there will take 6 hours, which means we will arrive to our Grand Canyon campground around 7pm that evening (yes, this is a big-ass country!).

Friday, 7/18:
From the Grand Canyon to Fort Irwin is another solid 6 hours (ugh!), putting us there around 1pm on that Friday. Assuming we snap some pictures around there and maybe Yermo for a couple of hours, then we leave around 4pm or so, then it's another 2 1/2 hours to our hotel / fan meetup place somewhere in East Hollywood by 7pm that evening.

So, looking at the reality of time and distance, I would have to say that most of the fun we have will have to be on the road, in the van. It looks like we're not going to have a helluva lot of time to piss around, unless we left an entire day earlier...

Deacon_Tyler
Feb 18th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I'm joining you on the last leg of the tour.

I would join you in your van for the whole trip, but I tend to aggressively sleep grope the nearest warm bodies (ask my cat about that) and I often speak in backwards Latin in my sleep as well and people have been known to weep when they see me pee blood in the morning. Surely I'm not the only one though, right!

Deacon_Tyler
Feb 18th, 2014, 06:08 PM
Okay guys - the Super 8 hotel in East Hollywood is basic, cheap for the area but kinda seedy. The parking is tight with small oriented spaces that is really good for small cars. Don't expect much. Right next store is the Whitehorse Inn Bar and it is a dive but apparently has decent hot dogs, overpriced drinks (typical hollyweird), not too crowded and I think would probably be a good meeting place for us. Parking is tough and I guess alot of people try and park at the hotel lol. The place opens at 6pm. I personally have never been to the Super 8 nor Whitehorse and it is kinda scary especially for non LA people and us women folk.

If this is too scary or seedy, another option is to take the metro/red line and we can all meet at Tin Horn Flats (Highland and Hollywood). Tinhorn Flats Saloon & Grill

Address: 1724 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90028. I go there a lot to meetup with my soccer social club (Real Madrid fans). The food is good, happy hour is cheap and the drinks are decent. It is reasonably safe at night.

It is real close to the red line metro/ Hollywood and Highland stop. You can also park on the side on Yucca St and get it validated by Tin Horn for 2 hours free. You can move your car before the 2 hours are up and get it validated again. (Yes we do this a lot.) :D

Thoughts?

Don't knock a seedy hotel. If it wasn't for a seedy hotel and ten dollars lying on the ground, I'd have never met my wife! Heck, I probably wouldn't have been conceived!

MrRedBeard
Feb 18th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Don't knock a seedy hotel. If it wasn't for a seedy hotel and ten dollars lying on the ground, I'd have never met my wife! Heck, I probably wouldn't have been conceived!

Bahaha...... The lack of context here makes a great open ended story.

MrRedBeard
Feb 18th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I'm trying to make this work but Mick is for sure out. Dang logistics

katlero
Feb 18th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Please RedBeard!!! I want to see these magic beards and their glorious powers unite!

Litmaster
Feb 18th, 2014, 07:48 PM
I'm trying to make this work but Mick is for sure out. Dang logistics

What, even with meeting up with us along Interstate 40??

7oddisdead
Feb 19th, 2014, 12:29 AM
GAAAHH!!

so ive spent the better part of two hours looking at hotel info and im just beyond tired of the whole thing. regardless of the neighborhood the super8 is in. it works best logistically. at this point I say everyone weigh in. put it to a vote. ill get behind the deathmatch winner. THEN ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS THROW MONEY AT IT.

7oddisdead
Feb 19th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Please RedBeard!!! I want to see these magic beards and their glorious powers unite!

last time this happened, there were explosions, death, rebirth, much weeping and nashing of teeth...and then, everyone got a pony

Gooer
Feb 19th, 2014, 12:50 AM
Ok Convoyites, we have some decisions to make. I have been researching the actual time and distance involved in this journey, and must say that it's somewhat daunting. This is just one big-ass hunk of land we have to traverse on the way to LA... even traveling only half of it. I need some input as to what the group is willing to do, given the logistics. Here we go:

Wednesday, 7/16:
So we're gonna have to leave Todd's place by 7am to make good time, which, driving straight without stopping except for bathroom breaks, puts us passing Tulsa around 1pm. But then Tulsa to Amarillo is another 5 hours, which has us pulling in to the Cadillac Ranch around 6pm that evening. Dinner is only 15 min away, however, so we're good for the Big Texan Steak ranch by 7pm that evening, and our campground in Amarillo is only about 10 min from that restaurant. So what I'm saying is that the caverns is probably not do-able given the time and distance involved...

Thursday, 7/17:
Well... it's looking like Roswell, NM is also going to be out. Assuming we leave our Amarillo campground by 7am and drive straight to Albuquerque, that puts our arrival at 10am (a 4 hr trip, minus one hour b/c we switch to mountain time by then). So fine, we do the ABQ Breaking Bad tour for a few hours, and leave ABQ by 1pm. Driving straight to the Grand Canyon from there will take 6 hours, which means we will arrive to our Grand Canyon campground around 7pm that evening (yes, this is a big-ass country!).

Friday, 7/18:
From the Grand Canyon to Fort Irwin is another solid 6 hours (ugh!), putting us there around 1pm on that Friday. Assuming we snap some pictures around there and maybe Yermo for a couple of hours, then we leave around 4pm or so, then it's another 2 1/2 hours to our hotel / fan meetup place somewhere in East Hollywood by 7pm that evening.

So, looking at the reality of time and distance, I would have to say that most of the fun we have will have to be on the road, in the van. It looks like we're not going to have a helluva lot of time to piss around, unless we left an entire day earlier...

Hmm..... Personally, I don't mind grinding down a long drive, but it would be fun to leave a day earlier and get to see a few more sites. In the end, I'm happy whatever happens, but it could be a good idea to leave 7/15, just so we have a little extra time, and we don't have to rush there!

7oddisdead
Feb 19th, 2014, 01:12 AM
my only concern with the whole leaving a day early thing is (well shit, I guess I have two)

one:the 15th was our "fly in, spend an evening mingling" day. by eliminating it, we may end up with some of us already road(or flight) weary...get a few hours sleep, and then jump into a van with a bunch of people we know only from talking on the forum. sure, theres plenty of time for small talk in the van -I'm not overlooking that- its just a concern..perhaps an unwarranted one.

two: we have yet to look at what the additional costs will be of adding an extra day onto the trip. while I certainly see the "relaxation" advantages of leaving a day early, I also know that none of us are made of money -its scientifically impossible-. so while it likely wont change our gas prices, there is the additional cost of food (10-20.00 av per), camping (10-20.00 av per) buying stuff at roswell(speaking for myself here), etc...not trying to bash the idea, im just playing devils advocate. basically if the group wants to move the date up...that's what we'll do.

personally, im not hugely invested in the meramac caverns stop (its local for me) roswell I can take or leave, honestly the breaking bad tour does not really interest me either. for me the important bits are grand canyon and getting out to l.a. but...again. if the group wants an extra day, im on board. I know litmaster sent all of you a pm pertaining to that. weigh in here with your opinions if you'd like.

Litmaster
Feb 19th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Ok, so the Convoy has spoken. Here's the results of the 'Maybe We Should Leave a Day Earlier' poll:

Main Convoy Participants, so Far
Witch Doctor: Sure, no prob
Katlero: Rather leave on Wed because of logistics, $$, but I'm flexible
Red Shirt: Extra day would be no prob... but I'm still not sure I'll be able to go
Tonyhind86: No prob, my good chap!
Raven: Yeah, leaving Tue would prob be better, more relaxed
Todd: Yeah, but... ^^ (see post above)
Lit: Yeppers

Other People Joining Up for Part of the Trip
Redbeard (hopefully joining us on the road near Amarillo)
AdrianHD (hopefully coming with us from ABQ)
Deacon Tyler (who better drive his ass down from Vegas, at least for the Irwin / local stuff)
Cabbage Patch (who will hook up from Irwin on)

Haven't got response from Kek or Gooer yet, but I think we're going to have to leave on Tuesday. With the Wednesday schedule being so tight, I'm afraid if we hit any snags (i.e., traffic jams, etc), then we're going to screw ourselves out of some key stops--imagine if we hit some LA traffic and don't actually show up to our Friday 'meet up' place until 1am on Saturday morning? And spending 10+ hours on the road is pretty rough.

I'll re-work the schedule to depart from Tuesday and see what that looks like.

tonyhind86
Feb 19th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Cool. Hopefully we don't hit any major snags along the way, and at least we have a few more months to plan alternate routes etc.

Litmaster
Feb 19th, 2014, 08:28 AM
So I've gone through another revision of the itinerary, this time carefully mapping out the times involved, and it's looking like this:

Tues 7/15
7am: Leave Todd's place, drive 1.5 hours to Merramac Caverns
9-12pm: Caverns tour, should be back on the road by noon at the latest
12-7pm: Long, 7 hour drive to campsite
7pm: Camp at El Reno, OK (just west of OK city)

Wed 7/16
7am: Leave campsite, drive 3.5 hours to Amarillo, TX
10:30-2pm: Visit Cadillac Ranch & lunch @ Big Texan Steak Ranch

(BTW, I spoke with a lady who works there who told me we don't need reservations.
Also, they have a special "Steak Cam" that live streams anyone trying the steak challenge on their website!
http://bigtexan.com/live-stream/)

I thought that one way to save some money is to take AdrianHD up on his generous offer and crash at his apartment the night of Wed 7/16. EDIT: Adrian got back to me and said it was fine to crash at his place, for free (maybe we can order some of that Breaking Bad pizza for dinner!). Also, he can take us on the BB Tour Thursday morning no problem. then, there's a decision that needs to be made about Roswell:

Option 1: Roswell Hell Yea
2pm-5:30: Travel to Roswell
5:30-7:30: Buy alien shit in Roswell, etc.
7:30-10:30: Travel to Albuquerque, crash at Adrian's for the night

(as you can see, this option puts us in ABQ kinda late, or we could...)

Option 2: Screw Roswell
2pm-6pm: Travel straight from Amarillo to Albuquerque
6pm-ish: Arrive at Adrian's much earlier, but miss out on Roswell

Thur 7/17
8am: Leave Adrian's for Breaking Bad Tour of Albuquerque
8am-11am: Breaking Bad Tour, hitting the road by 11am
11am-5pm: Travel from Albuquerque straight to the Grand Canyon
5pm-ish: Enjoy Grand Canyon, take pictures, camp in area

Fri 7/18
8am: Leave Grand Canyon for California
8am-2pm: Travel to Ft. Irwin area
2pm-5pm: Some kind of sight-seeing of Ft. Irwin / Yermo / Barstow (need to leave by 5 in order to make the next stage...)
5pm-8pm: Travel to hotel in East L.A.
8pm: Fan Meetup at Bar / Hotel / Wherever in East L.A.

Sat 7/19
9am: Leave hotel for local WA Tour of LA
9am-4pm: Lots of time here for local WA tour of LA, lunch, etc.
4pm-6pm: Piss around, travel to Live Event site
6pm-LATE: WA Live Event! and After Party!

Sun 7/20
8am: Leave hotel for WA Colony Tour
8am-12pm: Travel, tour of WA Colony location south of LA
12pm-2pm: Tour of WA Studio
2pm: Goodbyes, Group Photos, Hugs, Tears, etc.

tonyhind86
Feb 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I cannot come to the States without trying the steak challenge! I will live on nothing put pasta and rice between now and July to prepare my stomach :britt:

Gooer
Feb 19th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I cannot come to the States without trying the steak challenge! I will live on nothing put pasta and rice between now and July to prepare my stomach :britt:

I'm living on rice and pasta at the moment.....not by choice either....

tonyhind86
Feb 19th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Pasta and rice - breakfast of champions*

*if it's a leftover takeaway from the night before...

7oddisdead
Feb 19th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Works for me. I was just trying to give the negatives. If the group says yes. I'm in.

and I vote yes to roswell

katlero
Feb 19th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Plan sounds good to me! Already made the adjustments to my time off for work.

Elisa
Feb 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Remember Litt & Co you guys are driving into LA during Friday rush hour if it is after 4pm so please factor that in as well. UGGGH

Elisa
Feb 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM

Well I just want you guys to be safe. I used to work in Hollywood so I know. :nik: It's doable just there are better alternatives that's all.

tonyhind86
Feb 19th, 2014, 11:03 AM
If we find an alien, can we adopt it as a mascot?

Gooer
Feb 19th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Can we call it Paul? I'm somewhat close to looking like Nick Frost....

tonyhind86
Feb 19th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Can we call it Paul? I'm somewhat close to looking like Nick Frost....

I've got the same colour hair as Simon Pegg. We're both Brits. It makes total sense.

Gooer
Feb 19th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I've got the same colour hair as Simon Pegg. We're both Brits. It makes total sense.

If i actually get there, lets do this.

Litmaster
Feb 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM

Also just updated the itinerary. Adrian gave the thumbs up for letting us sleep at his place, which saves us a few bucks. :yay:

tonyhind86
Feb 19th, 2014, 12:54 PM

Also just updated the itinerary. Adrian gave the thumbs up for letting us sleep at his place, which saves us a few bucks. :yay:

Brilliant! Will he be joining us on the journey?

Litmaster
Feb 19th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Brilliant! Will he be joining us on the journey?

I don't think so, but he'll be helping us with a place to sleep and a guided tour of the ABQ, which is pretty cool. :nik:

tonyhind86
Feb 20th, 2014, 01:27 AM
I don't think so, but he'll be helping us with a place to sleep and a guided tour of the ABQ, which is pretty cool. :nik:

My brother is so jealous - he's the one that got me into Breaking Bad, and is a bigger fan of the show than anyone. I can't wait to show him the photos :nik:

AdrianHD
Feb 21st, 2014, 09:24 PM
I may join, but I'm waiting on my friends to tell me where they are in planning. I hope that's soon. Regardless, excited to see you all around here! It'll be fun!

kek
Feb 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I turn into a good student (damn senioritis) and study and all that crap, and come back to this. I like it! Adrian, this is going to be freaking awesome, I didn't know we were going to stop at your place. I most definitely have to make it to this trip. I may have to sell organs and such, but I know all about kidney transplants now, so it all works out in the end :D
Now, back to the wonderful world of nursing.

PS, according to my studying (critical care class) everyone is going to die of multiple very bad things, like SIRS and MODS and ARDS and shock, and plenty of other alphabet soup (the ICU is an interesting place). Carry on.

Litmaster
Mar 1st, 2014, 10:56 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l7bdxwLLCr1qdp6gho1_400.gif

Ok Convoyites,

We're LOCKED IN! I've made camping reservations for us both in Oklahoma and at the Grand Canyon, so we will definitely have a patch of dirt to sleep on each night. Here's the deal:

Tue 7/15: Camping at El Reno West KOA http://koa.com/campgrounds/el-reno/

http://drunkr.co.uk/store/4/2/4256de0c164018b35d965bbe16527aecab474d07.jpg
Oh, look! It's Tonyhind86!

Wed 7/16: Crashing at Adrian HD's pad (and eating up all his food and/or using up all his hot water :nik:)

Thur 7/17: Camping at the Mather Campground at the Grand Canyon's South Rim
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-sr.htm#CP_JUMP_153552

http://shappirio.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/img_0859.jpg?w=900

For the campsites, I reserved adjoining tent sites (6 people max per site) that were somewhat out of the main flow of traffic and within stumbling distance to some bathrooms. More good news is that camping is pretty cheap, especially with a group of people all chipping in. With ten people going on the Convoy, the per-person cost for these three nights will be less than 20 bucks! Can't beat that... :nik:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBW-eC4EvLGnbKnZv3jfOKHeGgtjdUEqe9clTt0FZP3_a8bobI6A

tonyhind86
Mar 1st, 2014, 11:13 AM
http://drunkr.co.uk/store/4/2/4256de0c164018b35d965bbe16527aecab474d07.jpg
Oh, look! It's Tonyhind86!

My daycare business went out of business the following day :nik:

Witch_Doctor
Mar 1st, 2014, 11:41 AM
I'm getting my gear ready!!!!!!

http://youtu.be/V7N7EZ79mvM?t=1m18s

Marsh Melons for everybody!!!! :nik:

Witch_Doctor
Mar 1st, 2014, 11:52 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBW-eC4EvLGnbKnZv3jfOKHeGgtjdUEqe9clTt0FZP3_a8bobI6A

Litmaster, Are you guaranteeing that at least one of us will be mauled by a man-eating bear? I think I'm gonna love camping.

tonyhind86
Mar 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM

Litmaster, Are you guaranteeing that at least one of us will be mauled by a man-eating bear? I think I'm gonna love camping.

I'm bringing a +1

MGM Ray
Mar 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM
I'm bringing a +1

You're Putin me on!

tonyhind86
Mar 1st, 2014, 12:39 PM
You're Putin me on!

I want to see a fight between Putin and Crocodile Dundee

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Mar 1st, 2014, 03:13 PM
Oh, you guys are so awesome, the whole convoy thing is going to be legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5RI30RJIPk

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Mar 2nd, 2014, 07:14 AM
I'm getting my gear ready!!!!!!

Marsh Melons for everybody!!!! :nik:

Please keep in mind that some of the things which might happen eventually during the voyage should not be conducted in front of the Klingons. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0m9E1QY-g4

katlero
Mar 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Reading about all this July camping greatness is making the 7+ inches of snow currently falling physically painful!

tonyhind86
Mar 2nd, 2014, 10:07 AM
Reading about all this July camping greatness is making the 7+ inches of snow currently falling physically painful!

Just think of all the deserts we will be visiting. We'll be begging for a 7/11 after the first day :nik:

7oddisdead
Mar 2nd, 2014, 10:48 AM

dammit...its heading my way too...thanks for reminding me

#overit.

tonyhind86
Mar 2nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
I really feel for you guys now. Roll on Summer!

Witch_Doctor
Mar 2nd, 2014, 01:13 PM
Please keep in mind that some of the things which might happen eventually during the voyage should not be conducted in front of the Klingons. :D

Do you mean I shouldn't bring my banjo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

kek
Mar 2nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
dammit...its heading my way too...thanks for reminding me

#overit.

It's hitting me too :p So much ice covering my car I can't get in it. And to think, it was warm (well as warm as 50 degrees is) just yesterday. Damn you Cincinnati weather!

I'm looking forward to this trip more and more every day. Bring on melted snow and actual sunlight!

MrRedBeard
Mar 3rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
It's official I'm in for the road trip. It will be just me. Mick will fly out later if the fundraiser works out.

tonyhind86
Mar 3rd, 2014, 01:04 PM
It's official I'm in for the road trip. It will be just me. Mick will fly out later if the fundraiser works out.

Excellent!

I'm gonna let my beard grow in so we can have triple beard power on the trip :)

katlero
Mar 3rd, 2014, 01:21 PM
More people! YAY! Will be you joining us in St Louis or somewhere along the way?

katlero
Mar 3rd, 2014, 01:22 PM
.............. didn't mean to go partial Yodish there...... long day at work.

tonyhind86
Mar 3rd, 2014, 01:26 PM
.............. didn't mean to go partial Yodish there...... long day at work.

Strong with the force you are :nik:

MrRedBeard
Mar 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
More people! YAY! Will be you joining us in St Louis or somewhere along the way?

Oklahoma or Texas just depends. I need to finish reading through the thread to make sense of the details.

Litmaster
Mar 3rd, 2014, 04:09 PM
Oklahoma or Texas just depends. I need to finish reading through the thread to make sense of the details.

Ok Mr. RedBeard, all you have to do is meet up with us in the West Reno KOA Campground on Tuesday, July 15th, at or around 7pm. That's about 5 1/2 hours from Little Rock, by my reckoning, so if you leave by 1:30 or so your time, you should be good. Check out the details IN THIS POST (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?5148-the-W-A-finale-convoy!&p=73493&viewfull=1#post73493).

We certainly are looking forward to you joining us, and to doing an episode of the We're Alive Fancast on the road!!! :nik:

Enwani
Mar 10th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Hello All,

I just found out about this road trip and I'm interested. I live in Illinois so I can meet up in St. Louis if there's still room. Let me know :)

Litmaster
Mar 11th, 2014, 07:34 PM
HEY!

Time is running out for signing up for the We're Alive Convoy! APRIL 1st is the deadline, so you better

http://i.imgur.com/FUHhXUG.gif

and sign up!!!

Come on, now! Don't be a

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7TbHTVH5GmJgJ3oGxeBu6oncjBByXM rJCV5ePtdXGAPwoTeaSvA

or a

http://gigieatscelebrities.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Jackass-Donkey.jpg

SIGN UP FOR THE WE'RE ALIVE CONVOY TODAY by responding to this thread!!! :nik: :nik: :nik:

Enwani
Mar 12th, 2014, 05:47 AM
I would like to sign up for the convoy. I can meet up in St. Louis.

tonyhind86
Mar 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I would like to sign up for the convoy. I can meet up in St. Louis.

Welcome aboard!

Raven
Mar 29th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Ohhh lookie new people :) Tuesday is fast approaching people!!

Litmaster
Mar 29th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Ohhh lookie new people :) Tuesday is fast approaching people!!

YEP! :nik:

turbo
Apr 2nd, 2014, 07:43 AM
Plane tickets bought! See y'all in LA ;)

katlero
Apr 8th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Anybody else wake up with a countdown in their head?

14 weeks and counting!

So close yet so far away!!!

tonyhind86
Apr 8th, 2014, 12:36 PM
3 months and counting! :yay:

Litmaster
Apr 8th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Aaaaaaaand plane tix to St. Louis HAVE BEEN BOUGHT!

http://www.blogcdn.com/downloadsquad.switched.com/media/2007/09/airplane-departing.jpg

<strong>I'M LOCKED IN, BABY!</strong>

Litmaster
Apr 9th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Attention Convoyites:

HOTEL RESERVATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE! We are all set for a two night stay at the (not so) fabulous

Super 8 Hollywood La Area
http://www.super8.com/common/images/branded/SE/images/04224_b1.jpg
1536 N Western Ave
Hollywood, CA 90027

This hotel is merely a 6 minute drunken stumble from the WA Live Event site at

Assistance League of Southern California
1367 N St Andrews Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90028

and is a 6 min drive (or 40 min walk) straight down Hollywood Blvd from our fan meet-up bar:

TinHorn Flats and Saloon
1724 N. Highland Ave. Suite 100, Los Angeles, CA 90028

Nice and centrally located. :nik:

tonyhind86
Apr 10th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Looks fairly pleasant. As long as it has a bed or at least a sheltered doorway for me to sleep in, then I'm content :)

katlero
Apr 10th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Lit, are you going to do a price breakdown for us? Doesn't have to be publically posted. Want to make sure my budget is enough.

Thank you!

Elisa
Apr 10th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Going with economy...that is fine. It is pretty close to the red line aka subway aka metro and you can take that to Tin Horn Flats with easy and all over Hollywood...even Downtown LA or Universal City. Just be street smart and use common sense. :D Welcome to La La Land everybody!!

Raven
Apr 13th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Lit, are you going to do a price breakdown for us? Doesn't have to be publically posted. Want to make sure my budget is enough.

Thank you!

Yes yes second this. Private Message head count and ppls too so I can get re-acquainted with my soon to be roomy ladies.

7oddisdead
Apr 14th, 2014, 11:01 PM
well, after a longer hiatus than I anticipated...im mostly back around here.

im working on getting our transportation locked in within the month. what I need a bit of clarification on from the rest of you is; how many of you will be skipping the return trip and flying back home from l.a. ?

it honestly doesn't matter either way, but it will be nice info to have going forward. it will help us know who to count on for xx.00 amount of the gas moneyz

and some have asked about numbers -money wise-..I still say a budget of 1500 will cover literally everything and have some left over. would 1000 cover it? - im sure it would- but better safe than sorry, right? most likely lit can jump in and tell ya'll what our hotel and camping costs are per person (I don't have all that info on-hand) and once I finalize our vehicle choice, and how many are making the trip (both ways, or one way) ill get a gas price together

right now, im looking at the option of renting a large suv and taking my small suv instead of renting a 12 passenger van. our group is about the perfect size for something like that. and in the long run, it will save us money.

more details as I finalize them
todd-0

Kc
Apr 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I think I'm touring around a bit with you on Sunday, is that still happening? With the colony and the recording stage?

Witch_Doctor
Apr 15th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Ooo Oooo, lets rent a Hummer. then take a Helicopter tour of L.A.

Or not.

Kc
Apr 15th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Ooo Oooo, lets rent a Hummer. then take a Helicopter tour of L.A.

Or not.

Hummer? The gas you would spend...

7oddisdead
Apr 15th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Yea, no hummer. Looking like a new-ish ford SUV. With that we can figure an mpg of about 20-24. My lil SUV is about the same, and most of my gas bill I'll be footing myself with the money I save by not renting a van. (vans mpg is 12-14, and an additional 300 over the rental cost of an SUV).

and yes KC, the plan was a studio tour Sunday morning-ish...is that still do able? And correct me if I'm wrong, but the studio and and colony area are kind of on opposite ends of the city, we may have to cut one or the other.

Kc
Apr 15th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Yea, no hummer. Looking like a new-ish ford SUV. With that we can figure an mpg of about 20-24. My lil SUV is about the same, and most of my gas bill I'll be footing myself with the money I save by not renting a van. (vans mpg is 12-14, and an additional 300 over the rental cost of an SUV).

and yes KC, the plan was a studio tour Sunday morning-ish...is that still do able? And correct me if I'm wrong, but the studio and and colony area are kind of on opposite ends of the city, we may have to cut one or the other.

Yup, still doable. The colony is about 17 minutes away from the studio, so if you still want to, I'm up for both, but if you have to cut for time, I understand.

7oddisdead
Apr 15th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Cross that bridge when we get there? Its all well and good to plan for both, but who's to say the condition everyone will be in the morning after. :nik:

Litmaster
Apr 15th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I think I'm touring around a bit with you on Sunday, is that still happening? With the colony and the recording stage?

Yes! Still happening!

Anghil
Apr 28th, 2014, 08:56 AM
I want to know if everyone who's involved with the convoy was able to get a ticket. It'd be a shame if you weren't. Reply in comments or PM me if you didn't/couldn't get a ticket.

timmoon
May 10th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Be sure to post a lot of pictures from the convoy.

7oddisdead
May 30th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Slightly over a month away! Anyone else got ants in their pants??

perhaps I should change my pants

Gooer
May 30th, 2014, 03:42 PM

Wish i was...... I have to watch it in the comfort of my home.... *sigh*

Litmaster
May 30th, 2014, 07:29 PM

Can't wait! :nik:

turbo
May 31st, 2014, 05:03 PM
Can't wait! Race y'all there ;) we will actually be in Vegas Wednesday night into Thursday morning...figured we would take the drive the minute we land!

katlero
Jun 16th, 2014, 06:39 AM
HOLY MOLY YA'LL! One month!!! How did that happen!?! Anyone else still piecing together their Zombie Survival Travel Kit? Trying to figure out how to fit a bazooka into a backpack. :)

Grognaurd
Jun 16th, 2014, 06:49 AM
HOLY MOLY YA'LL! One month!!! How did that happen!?! Anyone else still piecing together their Zombie Survival Travel Kit? Trying to figure out how to fit a bazooka into a backpack. :)

I will be with you in spirit waiting for each and every update. Forget the bazooka, unless it is bubblegum, and opt for a LAW ( Light Anti-tank Weapon ) the tube telescopes inside it self so it is less than one third the length. 8)

katlero
Jun 16th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I will be with you in spirit waiting for each and every update. Forget the bazooka, unless it is bubblegum, and opt for a LAW ( Light Anti-tank Weapon ) the tube telescopes inside it self so it is less than one third the length. 8)

Compact and deadly! Adding it to my NEED list. Are you on Twitter Grog?

Grognaurd
Jun 16th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Have not been logged on in a month or so, I think it is gaminggrognaurd.

katlero
Jun 16th, 2014, 11:13 AM
You should jump on the week before the live event. I know I'll be posting most of my updates there. Follow along!

turbo
Jun 16th, 2014, 12:27 PM

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed on a plane with my zombie pack! :D

7oddisdead
Jun 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM
@grog

I soooooooo wish you could have made it out. theres a handful of people im seriously bummed wont be there. your one of them.
Kat

super soakers....that is all

katlero
Jun 18th, 2014, 07:19 AM
@grog

I soooooooo wish you could have made it out. theres a handful of people im seriously bummed wont be there. your one of them.
Kat

super soakers....that is all

High speed water gun chase?! This just got more exciting.

turbo
Jun 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM
High speed water gun chase?! This just got more exciting.

I'll be seeing y'all on the news, won't I....

Raven
Jun 19th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Well now that we are offically going in two vehicles the hijynx will probably reach an all time level. As far as packs I am going to Todd's by plane so most survival gear is a no go for me unless I manage to make an ak on the 3d printer.....hmmmmm

turbo
Jun 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Not one big vehicle??

GamerGirl
Jun 19th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Well now that we are offically going in two vehicles the hijynx will probably reach an all time level. As far as packs I am going to Todd's by plane so most survival gear is a no go for me unless I manage to make an ak on the 3d printer.....hmmmmm

Put the stuff in a flat rate box & ship it to Todd's.... Cheaper than the baggage costs.

7oddisdead
Jun 19th, 2014, 11:31 PM
GamerGirl

don't give her ideas! :)

turbo

our group is the perfect size to make a 7person vehicle cramped. Total cost for 2 cars will only be about 20 bucks more altogether(per person), and add needed space, for both comfort and storage.

@ raven

:)

turbo
Jun 23rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
@GamerGirl (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/member.php?u=8236)

don't give her ideas! :)

@turbo (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/member.php?u=2311)

our group is the perfect size to make a 7person vehicle cramped. Total cost for 2 cars will only be about 20 bucks more altogether(per person), and add needed space, for both comfort and storage.

@ raven

:)

Not bad at all! Should get a set of CB radios.

MrRedBeard
Jul 4th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Less than 2 weeks! I'm friggin pumped.

MrRedBeard
Jul 4th, 2014, 09:38 PM
So are the Super 8 reservations still good to go?

GamerGirl
Jul 4th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Not bad at all! Should get a set of CB radios.

Oooooooh. If you guys get CBs we better hear stories about bird call names.......

Witch_Doctor
Jul 4th, 2014, 10:55 PM

Oh buddy! My wife was reading the reviews for the Super 8 tonight. Looks like the motel will be an adventure all on its own.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Super+8+Hollywood+La+Area&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs#lrd=lrd

Litmaster
Jul 5th, 2014, 05:35 AM

Yep, still good, Redbeard. :nik:

Litmaster
Jul 5th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Oh buddy! My wife was reading the reviews for the Super 8 tonight. Looks like the motel will be an adventure all on its own.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Super+8+Hollywood+La+Area&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs#lrd=lrd

Hey, no problem Doc! I reserved the rooms with the LEAST amount of roaches & bedbugs. We may have to fight our way past a few hookers on the way UP to them, but as Angel says, "We should be fine, then!"

Litmaster
Jul 5th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Besides, Kc was the one who originally recommended the place, so we know who to "thank"-- in person-- if it sucks :nik:

MrRedBeard
Jul 5th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Do you guys happen to have a total for each person's contribution to gas and lodging?

MrRedBeard
Jul 5th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Oh wow but it wouldn't be a first. I stayed at one in Chicago and well those reviews don't have anything on that one. Lets just say the pubes we're the least of my worries in the room.

7oddisdead
Jul 5th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Safe number on gas n lodging is 500. Roughly 225 gas, 200 lodging.

Raven
Jul 8th, 2014, 12:03 PM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/112657583377770665268/112657583377770665268/posts

Grognaurd
Jul 8th, 2014, 12:41 PM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/112657583377770665268/112657583377770665268/posts

:yay:

Raven
Jul 11th, 2014, 06:43 AM
:yay:

Between the fancast, the forums, various twitter accounts et et is it just me or there are getting to be way to many venues of communication

7oddisdead
Jul 11th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Never enough!

yea....your probly right,lol

GamerGirl
Jul 11th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Dropbox - you should set up a Dropbox for all the pics. (& maybe get someone not on the trip to manage it).

This will keep your devices free for all the pics you will (& better) be taking.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
So I've gone through another revision of the itinerary, this time carefully mapping out the times involved, and it's looking like this:

Tues 7/15
7am: Leave Todd's place, drive 1.5 hours to Merramac Caverns
9-12pm: Caverns tour, should be back on the road by noon at the latest
12-7pm: Long, 7 hour drive to campsite
7pm: Camp at El Reno, OK (just west of OK city)

Wed 7/16
7am: Leave campsite, drive 3.5 hours to Amarillo, TX
10:30-2pm: Visit Cadillac Ranch & lunch @ Big Texan Steak Ranch

(BTW, I spoke with a lady who works there who told me we don't need reservations.
Also, they have a special "Steak Cam" that live streams anyone trying the steak challenge on their website!
http://bigtexan.com/live-stream/)

I thought that one way to save some money is to take AdrianHD up on his generous offer and crash at his apartment the night of Wed 7/16. EDIT: Adrian got back to me and said it was fine to crash at his place, for free (maybe we can order some of that Breaking Bad pizza for dinner!). Also, he can take us on the BB Tour Thursday morning no problem. then, there's a decision that needs to be made about Roswell:

Option 1: Roswell Hell Yea
2pm-5:30: Travel to Roswell
5:30-7:30: Buy alien shit in Roswell, etc.
7:30-10:30: Travel to Albuquerque, crash at Adrian's for the night

(as you can see, this option puts us in ABQ kinda late, or we could...)

Option 2: Screw Roswell
2pm-6pm: Travel straight from Amarillo to Albuquerque
6pm-ish: Arrive at Adrian's much earlier, but miss out on Roswell

Thur 7/17
8am: Leave Adrian's for Breaking Bad Tour of Albuquerque
8am-11am: Breaking Bad Tour, hitting the road by 11am
11am-5pm: Travel from Albuquerque straight to the Grand Canyon
5pm-ish: Enjoy Grand Canyon, take pictures, camp in area

Fri 7/18
8am: Leave Grand Canyon for California
8am-2pm: Travel to Ft. Irwin area
2pm-5pm: Some kind of sight-seeing of Ft. Irwin / Yermo / Barstow (need to leave by 5 in order to make the next stage...)
5pm-8pm: Travel to hotel in East L.A.
8pm: Fan Meetup at Bar / Hotel / Wherever in East L.A.

Sat 7/19
9am: Leave hotel for local WA Tour of LA
9am-4pm: Lots of time here for local WA tour of LA, lunch, etc.
4pm-6pm: Piss around, travel to Live Event site
6pm-LATE: WA Live Event! and After Party!

Sun 7/20
8am: Leave hotel for WA Colony Tour
8am-12pm: Travel, tour of WA Colony location south of LA
12pm-2pm: Tour of WA Studio
2pm: Goodbyes, Group Photos, Hugs, Tears, etc.

Tents for camping or just sleeping bags?

Witch_Doctor
Jul 11th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Dropbox - you should set up a Dropbox for all the pics. (& maybe get someone not on the trip to manage it).

This will keep your devices free for all the pics you will (& better) be taking.

Took me minute. Reading and watching too spy and crime dramas.

Litmaster
Jul 11th, 2014, 01:18 PM
Tents for camping or just sleeping bags?

I think Todd's getting tents, but I'm bringing a sleeping bag, yeah.

Raven
Jul 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Already took care of that ;) :nik:

7oddisdead
Jul 11th, 2014, 02:17 PM
i have two tents (for us gents) and kat has one for the ladies (...something about man-coodies?) everything is handled, or being handled

Raven
Jul 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
i have two tents (for us gents) and kat has one for the ladies (...something about man-coodies?) everything is handled, or being handled

..that's what she said? ...

katlero
Jul 11th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Actually I think we'll need to escape all the epic-Beards!

MrRedBeard
Jul 11th, 2014, 03:12 PM
In emergencies they can provide shelter when woven together.

Raven
Jul 11th, 2014, 03:44 PM
In emergencies they can provide shelter when woven together.

Sounds like an eagle scout project

7oddisdead
Jul 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I never made it past webelo. how do you spell webelo? we-be-low? I dunno..

woven beards sound like a bad idea. that might upset the family of wrens living in mine.

Litmaster
Jul 11th, 2014, 05:38 PM

I'm actually starting to grow a little piss-ant beard in honor of the trip! :nik:

7oddisdead
Jul 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Awww, I bet its cute!

(never again will I say "cute".mark the date)

Litmaster
Jul 11th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Awww, I bet its cute!

(never again will I say "cute".mark the date)

Yep, my beard looks like something your beard shit out after eating a hearty meat breakfast. :nik:

Litmaster
Jul 12th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Redbeard got some new shades in preparation for the trip:

http://www.youngcreativecouncil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/huge-beard-man.jpeg

7oddisdead
Jul 12th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Noooooopoo jack passion!

Raven
Jul 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zbPZpS0rpe2c.kZh7Lf9-mz9U

First go of the route map. I think it would be funny to see how far off we wind up being on our travel estimates. I didn't have exact towns or addresses for people we are gaining along the way ( I.E Cabbage, Deegan )

Witch_Doctor
Jul 12th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Got my beard a growing too.

Grognaurd
Jul 14th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Ok, ok!

Get a move on, I gotta live vicariously through you guys, but, I am sure it will be a blast!

7oddisdead
Jul 14th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Update 1:

litmasters here. Anyone have any ideas how to rent a car at an airport when you don't actually fly in?

GamerGirl
Jul 14th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Reserve the car & take a taxi / have a friend take you to said airport.

Gooer
Jul 14th, 2014, 06:56 AM
It has begun.

turbo
Jul 14th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Yea probably just get a lift to the location from someone. Damn, we'll all be having a drink in 4.5 days!

7oddisdead
Jul 14th, 2014, 07:29 AM
figured out the rental situation. luckily the agency isn't in the airport proper, freaked so a second there.

carry on.

Gooer
Jul 14th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Yea probably just get a lift to the location from someone. Damn, we'll all be having a drink in 4.5 days!

Not me.....

*runs into bed and cries all week*

Gooer
Jul 14th, 2014, 09:57 AM
What social media are you guys posting on?

Raven
Jul 14th, 2014, 10:18 AM
What social media are you guys posting on?

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/112657583377770665268/112657583377770665268/posts is the channel and Todd has Twitter convoy. Sorry about link, I'm at airport on my phone 😁

7oddisdead
Jul 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
twitters

@_toddisdead
@convoy_wa

tons of stuff will either be posted here, or linked to from here. but for the up to the minute details once we roll out, follow @convoy_wa

ill be posting and throwing up pictures throughout the trip

UPDATE 2; about to go to the airport for witch_doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111ELEVENTY

Gooer
Jul 15th, 2014, 07:00 AM
twitters

@_toddisdead
@convoy_wa

tons of stuff will either be posted here, or linked to from here. but for the up to the minute details once we roll out, follow @convoy_wa

ill be posting and throwing up pictures throughout the trip

UPDATE 2; about to go to the airport for witch_doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111ELEVENTY

following you on the twitters now

molson
Jul 15th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Catching up on the forum after failing to even lurk successfully. You guys are insane - I'll be following along. See you this weekend, let me know if you need any bail money.

Elisa
Jul 15th, 2014, 02:42 PM
See you friday!!

7oddisdead
Jul 15th, 2014, 10:29 PM
So, the days update.

driving to red beards house my SUV bottomed out really badly and busted a Brake line. Managed to MacGyver that shit together to get us on the road. Uneventful drive after that, until we reached the campground.

teaching litmaster how to open a bottle with a lighter, I managed to shoot myself in the eye with a the bottle cap, bad form on my part but no damage, all good(hopefully, we'll 'see' in the morning)

thus trip has so far established that I'm slightly insane.

more tomorrow. For up to the minute updates, get on/join/sell your soul to twitter

@convoy_wa

todd-0

Gooer
Jul 16th, 2014, 01:18 AM
So, the days update.

driving to red beards house my SUV bottomed out really badly and busted a Brake line. Managed to MacGyver that shit together to get us on the road. Uneventful drive after that, until we reached the campground.

teaching litmaster how to open a bottle with a lighter, I managed to shoot myself in the eye with a the bottle cap, bad form on my part but no damage, all good(hopefully, we'll 'see' in the morning)

So successful so far? Haha, classic.

MrRedBeard
Jul 16th, 2014, 05:37 AM
thus trip has so far established that I'm slightly insane.

@convoy_wa

todd-0

In the fun way not the padded walls way.

Grognaurd
Jul 16th, 2014, 07:00 AM
In the fun way not the padded walls way.

Ironic that they won't let me leave my padded room, so I could not go. Interestingly, they gave this other dude named Bill Roberts a week long pass! He said something about LA and rooftops before he left. He is a real 'roid-rag-asaurus and some times I think he loses control on purpose, so watch out for him...

7oddisdead
Jul 16th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Just reporting in. Eye is fine, not even bloodshot or anything. Just had a hearty breakfast, preparing for another long day on the road.

w00t-0

MickGinger
Jul 16th, 2014, 08:50 AM
Convoy Check-in 1 is on the WAFancast -

http://werealive.mickred.com/2014/07/16/convoy-check-in-day-1/

MickGinger
Jul 17th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Convoy Check-in 2 is on the WAFancast -

http://werealive.mickred.com/2014/07/17/convoy-check-in-day-2/

7oddisdead
Jul 17th, 2014, 07:41 AM
I'd just like to say, my exploits are not nearly as crazy as they sound.

that said. Many more stories to come:nik:

MGM Ray
Jul 17th, 2014, 09:12 PM
How Y'all doing? Did Todd get a pair of safety glasses? Safe trip, see you all tomorrow!

Litmaster
Jul 18th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Guys, I have a ton of audio from this trip that I will be posting/linking here later. Much funny shit has occured, and I got much of it captured on audio!

Also, footage for the fan fiction audio drama is being recorded!!!

Witch_Doctor
Jul 19th, 2014, 11:49 AM
I man can't believe I'm sitting in Holly Wood, reading a script. Litmaster , he's living up to his name. This is awesome script. Pure gold.

Witch_Doctor
Jul 19th, 2014, 11:54 AM
I'd just like to say, my exploits are not nearly as crazy as they sound.

that said. Many more stories to come:nik:

ptsh! We didn't have coffee at the Grand Canyon, but 7oddisdead turned water into Redbull.

7oddisdead
Jul 19th, 2014, 12:43 PM
that wasn't redbull....

Morning update:

Had breakfast this morning with turbo, MGM ray, turbo's buddy, Redbeard, and WALDO BUTTERS. Great food at kitchen24. We are sitting back at the hotel for a bit, work on some lines for the fan fic....then a trip to "the last bookstore on earth". Should be an amazing day

Witch_Doctor
Jul 19th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Guys, I have a ton of audio from this trip that I will be posting/linking here later. Much funny shit has occured, and I got much of it captured on audio!

Also, footage for the fan fiction audio drama is being recorded!!!
Too bad there was a looonngg, tense, 200 mile silence when @katlero (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/member.php?u=4375) 's HYBRID almost ran out of gas in the Mohave FREAKING Desert. If you could have recorded the the funny shit runing through my mind.

MGM Ray
Jul 20th, 2014, 07:09 PM
It was a blast meeting all of the convoy's Road Warriors and everyone else who made it to the pre-show meet up. What a great bunch of people! The finale and after party were also fantastic! Have a safe trip back everyone.

Raven
Jul 21st, 2014, 05:39 AM
we made it to Albuquerque sometime around 3am local after powering through since leaving Kc and Co. A few hours of car naps and we will be at it again.

turbo
Jul 21st, 2014, 06:33 AM
Nice to meet everyone on the Convoy! Y'all are awesome! Drive safe :)

Witch_Doctor
Jul 21st, 2014, 09:10 AM
we made it to Albuquerque sometime around 3am local after powering through since leaving Kc and Co. A few hours of car naps and we will be at it again.

Y'all will probably make it back to your homes before I do. "Having a good laugh at my plans, eh God?"
The score is now L.A. : 6 Witch Doctor: 2
Wait, we got to record in KC's studio and I got to dance with Tammy Klein. GAME OVER: WITCH DOCTOR WINS!!!

7oddisdead
Jul 1st, 2021, 07:51 PM
Soooooo. I was bored

It’s been nearly seven years???

Well. Since the finale. Katlero and I dated, moved her to Illinois, bought property, got married. Now have 3kids….lol. Life happens sometimes when you’re not terminally online. Will say if not for this forum I would never have met my wife and not have kids. Which at this point I couldn’t even begin to imagine life without. I really don’t know if anyone that I knew on here back then is even around. Doesn’t actually matter. This is simply a time capsule

Peace and love
Lmaomao
Todd-0

DemetriusH
Jul 26th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Soooooo. I was bored

It’s been nearly seven years???

Well. Since the finale. Katlero and I dated, moved her to Illinois, bought property, got married. Now have 3kids….lol. Life happens sometimes when you’re not terminally online. Will say if not for this forum I would never have met my wife and not have kids. Which at this point I couldn’t even begin to imagine life without. I really don’t know if anyone that I knew on here back then is even around. Doesn’t actually matter. This is simply a time capsule

Peace and love
Lmaomao
Todd-0

Yeah... it's crazy how much of this site is pretty much a lost relic at this point. I've been trying to do what I can here for the time being but I really wish we could get back to what the site used to be like.