PDA

View Full Version : Other Podcasts?/

viscera
Oct 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
ok we're on the last season of WA. I love it, but its going to be over soon. so does anybody know any other good horror audio-dramas? stuff like we're alive.

Hellbringer
Oct 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM
Viscera,

I have a couple of other podcasts in my collection:

Aftermath (not many episodes, but interesting)

The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio (not necessarily horror, but good mystery stuff)

The Leviathian Chronicles (I've heard others talking about it, but I haven't given it a listen yet. However, I have every episode downloaded for later listening)

The Shadow of Black Wings (another series that I've heard about, but haven't had time to listen to)

Welcome to Night Vale (people have described it as a way to get their fix for Twin Peaks withdrawals. Personally, I find it weird as all heck, but 100+k fans on Facebook and 50k+ followers on twitter must like the series. I've only gotten four episodes in so far, and it reminds me of a super out-there Twilight Zone series)

Storm
Oct 1st, 2013, 11:24 PM
Leviathan Chronicles isn't really horror... More science fiction mixed with CIA agents and a bunch of immortal people living in a city deep down in the ocean. But I personally love it... And am just waiting for the second half of season 2 to be released so I can buy that as well. :D
Dark Adventure Radio Theatre has made a few of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. These aren't free, though, but you can listen to some demos on their website.
I haven't, unfortunately, listened to that many English audio dramas, but when talking about that genre with people I'm always recommenting both WA and LC, if they're into horror/zombies or sci-fi. :)

Osiris
Oct 2nd, 2013, 12:07 AM
There are loads of amazing audio dramas out there. Nothing really like We're Alive though. Sort of a unique sort of thing. There's hundreds of hours of great OTR kicking around on the net: Suspense, The Whistler, The Mysterious Traveller, X-Minus 1, The Black Museum, Escape, Inner Sanctum, The Weird Circle, Lights Out . . . the list goes on and on. If you're hard up for dramatic storytelling you might consider going back to the source.

7oddisdead
Oct 2nd, 2013, 02:02 AM
while not completely an audio drama, one that im finding guilty pleasure in is "welcome to night vale". think a local radio station, on air announcer telling you about community events..if your town is full of really bizarre characters/events inspired by rejected/not used h.p. lovecraft ideas. its equal parts funny and almost dark poetic if your into that sort of thing. hard to describe, but I hooked me.

edit*
just noticed hellbringer mentioned it. yea, what he said and a bag o chips. its popular for good reason.

FunkyDung
Oct 3rd, 2013, 09:58 AM
I tried to submit a reply yesterday, but it seems to be stuck in moderation (probably because it contained a link). Anyhow, I'm rather fond of "Zombies, Run!". It's not a podcast or audiobook, but it's a participatory audio dramedy running app for iPhone and Android. So, if you don't mind exercising a bit to move the story along, I highly recommend it. :)

tonyhind86
Jan 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM
Leviathan Chronicles isn't really horror... More science fiction mixed with CIA agents and a bunch of immortal people living in a city deep down in the ocean. But I personally love it... And am just waiting for the second half of season 2 to be released so I can buy that as well. :D
Dark Adventure Radio Theatre has made a few of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. These aren't free, though, but you can listen to some demos on their website.
I haven't, unfortunately, listened to that many English audio dramas, but when talking about that genre with people I'm always recommenting both WA and LC, if they're into horror/zombies or sci-fi. :)

I've just caught up with the entire Leviathan Chronicles story up until chapter 38, now I also really want to know when the next 12 episodes will be released. :)

Litmaster
Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
ok we're on the last season of WA. I love it, but its going to be over soon. so does anybody know any other good horror audio-dramas? stuff like we're alive.

There was a whole thread about this topic that was started a couple of years ago. Ok, here it is:

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?32-Other-Audio-Dramas&highlight=audio+dramas

REZombie
Jan 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I havn't been able to find another podcast that has sucked me in the way WA has. :(

Storm
Jan 23rd, 2014, 05:52 AM
I've started listening to Welcome to Night Vale... It's awesome stuff, especially since I like HPL kinda stories a lot... Thanks to those who mentioned it earlier in this topic, that's one of the reasons I started listening. :D
Regarding Leviathan, I think they said on their Twitter back in November, that the next half of the season should be out this month, but so far I haven't found anything. Unfortunately. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

tonyhind86
Jan 23rd, 2014, 06:17 AM
Regarding Leviathan, I think they said on their Twitter back in November, that the next half of the season should be out this month, but so far I haven't found anything. Unfortunately. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully they get them released soon. I've asked on the Leviathan twitter feed for an update.

clem131
Jan 27th, 2014, 03:57 AM
Welcome to Night Vale is just weird. Somebody suggested it somewhere already and I tried it but soon I found myself thinking about something else and not really listening. I am a fan of Lovecraft and all, but I just don't get it.
I'm with Osiris, however, the problem with We're Alive is that now everything else sucks.
Leviathan is ok, I guess, although I find it a bit slow with releases so I'm waiting to have a nice backlog to listen to. I also feel the writing baroquely (is that a word?) over-elaborated.
A very, very good one was Edict Zero (http://edictzero.wordpress.com/), but unfortunately it's been put on indefinite hyatus and, yeah. Not much hope for that one. Still it's the closest thing to WA in terms of production quality I found so far.
The Mask of Inanna also had very good production and a nice story.