PDA

View Full Version : Premier League: 2013-14

Hellbringer
Sep 15th, 2013, 09:18 AM
There are more international folks around now, and with NBC Sports stealing the English Football contract from Fox Soccer Channel, there might be more exposure to the game. Anyone excited or interested in what will or might happen?

And the World Cup qualifiers is this year...

Red Shirt
Nov 29th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Indeed. I know I am.

One thing worth noting in relation to this, is that the owner of the Red Sox, John Henry also owns Liverpool and an 80% share in NESN, the New England Sports Network (http://nesn.com/). He uses his ownership leverage to have the LFC games shown on NESN. Although the game showings are delayed and shown on Tuesday nights, it's pretty damn awesome in my book.

I must admit that I've always had a soft spot for Football, both the Premier League and international... but had a hard time choosing who to support. A drought of coverage didn't help this either. Obliquely, the Red Sox showed me the way.

Choagy
Dec 26th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I , for my sins in a previous life :D, follow/support the "Mighty Bairns" (Falkirk F.C.) . We are currently in the second tier of the Scottish leagues and hopefully will earn promotion at the end of the season to the top flight. Followed them since I was a wee bairn , about 7 or 8 years old till now, fifty years later. Through thick and thin they are "My club" and will always have a special place in my heart. Anywhooo folks better go now as our game is ready to kick off so time for a few beers and a swear at the referee :mad:

Choagy FFCUK the SPL :D

Keithrob
Dec 27th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I'm a wolves fan (Wolverhampton wanderers for our colonial cousins) currently languishing in league one following a spectacular fall from the premier league. We'll be back in a few years but if you want to adopt a team... COME ON YOU WOLVES!!!

Choagy
Dec 27th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Bring Back Big Mick. Best Wolves man since Big Derek Dougan or Steve Bull :yay:

Choagy FFCUK the SPL :D

Keithrob
Dec 27th, 2013, 07:01 AM
He should never have been sacked... A great lesson in being careful what you wish for!

Hellbringer
Dec 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I'm a wolves fan (Wolverhampton wanderers for our colonial cousins) currently languishing in league one following a spectacular fall from the premier league. We'll be back in a few years but if you want to adopt a team... COME ON YOU WOLVES!!!

While I am a HUGE Arsenal fan (I checked out Arsenal's history and it relates to my older field in the military), I am a follower of the Wolves as well. I have more Wolves jerseys and scarves than any other team. I have been known to drop hundred quid on their merchandise and have it shipped here in Texas; of course, I am always on the lookout for their sales. So, my family does get decked out in Wolverhampton gear every so often.

I fully expect them to pop back up into Championship League this season.

Hellbringer
Dec 27th, 2013, 10:16 AM
He should never have been sacked... A great lesson in being careful what you wish for!

I agree. I think Mick McCarthy was the glue that the wolves needed. The owners never should have let him go. At all.

Keithrob
Dec 28th, 2013, 12:21 AM
You've made my Christmas! http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/ is the link for the most up to date wolves news. As for arsenal... If they can get another striker then they'll be in with a decent chance of winning the prem. it's nice to see them and Liverpool going well but you can't really look beyond Man City at the moment. Unfortunately...

Choagy
Dec 28th, 2013, 02:55 AM
@Keith :)
Just away to the Bairns V Alloa game. Time for a few aperetifs to loosen the vocal chords up so I can abuse the ref :)
Hope you get a good result today.
@Hellbringer :)
Twelve mile sniper by any chance. Served a bit myself and as a mechanical engineer was attached to several armoured units in the British Army :)

Anywhoo folks, speak later :)

Choagy FFCUK The SPL :)

Keithrob
Dec 28th, 2013, 06:17 AM
We could have an ex-forces thread going here. However as ex int corps I'm sure you'd argue that I don't qualify ;-) Sunday top of the table clash v leyton orient for us. Good luck today and enjoy your glass of sherry!

Hellbringer
Dec 28th, 2013, 10:16 AM
@Keith :)

@Hellbringer :)
Twelve mile sniper by any chance. Served a bit myself and as a mechanical engineer was attached to several armoured units in the British Army :)

Choagy,

nope. It sounds silly, but over here, maintenance and munitions both fall under ordnance and since Arsenal started out as workers for the munition plant in Woolrich, it felt like a good fit for me to start rooting for them. But now I'm one of those intel folks like Keithrob.

Hellbringer
Apr 21st, 2014, 02:10 PM
ok, new episode went up, so this thread should see some visibility.

The season is almost over and Liverpool is on top. I'm actually quite happy for them, since "you never walk alone." I'm sad that my Gunners are in fourth place, but they ARE in the FA Cup finals, at least! They might actually earn a trophy this year.

And the Wolves are getting promoted back to Championship League!

Gorbba
May 4th, 2022, 07:48 AM
Guys, as for sports and sports betting, do you have any advice on this?

Drache
May 4th, 2022, 08:13 AM
Games previously were definitely a way more spectacular