PDA

View Full Version : something you may find interesting

reaper239
Jan 31st, 2013, 12:14 PM
did you know that the National Firearms Act was instituted as a reaction to gangster violence in the late 20's and early 30's? gangsters rose to power as booze runners, which was made necessary by the federal prohibition on alcohol. in short, when the fed creates a problem by banning something, their solution is to ban more things. this is why i'm against the drug war, the NFA, the BATFE, and a whole host of other nonsensical regulations and organizations.

LiamKerrington
Jan 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
did you know that the National Firearms Act was instituted as a reaction to gangster violence in the late 20's and early 30's?

This really is interesting. But something in my mind tells me that I already knew about it.

gangsters rose to power as booze runners, which was made necessary by the federal prohibition on alcohol. in short, when the fed creates a problem by banning something, their solution is to ban more things.

A vicious circle, which again and again raises the question what the bans do address: the cause or the symptoms? In Germany and the EU I often have the impression that law or sub-law-leveled rules and regulations aim at symptoms and not so much at tha causes of things; and this leads to three effects:
a) The given laws and rules need several times of "refurbishing" to make them properly work;
b) the laws and rules are very rarely applicable, 'cause they are plain and simple not workable; or
c) High Courts (or lower courts with the proper authority) of whatever branch cancel the given laws or regulations, as they are not inconsistent with the Consitution or the European Treaties.
The cause for all of this trouble: Too often laws and regulations are the result of even worse compromises in which all involved parties add their particular opinion to it without properly checking the coherence of the given law and regulation ...

this is why i'm against the drug war, the NFA, the BATFE, and a whole host of other nonsensical regulations and organizations.

In theory the basic ideas of German public law is: As less laws as possible, but as much laws as necessary. And yet: If you look at the amount of laws we have in Germany (and in many other European nations as well as in the EU), you cannot conclude something else but this: There are way too many laws and regulations - especially with a lot of special laws which are applicable only to few situations.
On the other hand: I have no trouble with laws for as long as they are proper, well done, serve the issue without producing complications, and finally without putting too many limits to the rights I have based on the Constitution.

All the best!
Liam

Lilydragon
Jan 31st, 2013, 09:30 PM
Did you know that it was the booze runners started the whole car racing circuit?

LiamKerrington
Jan 31st, 2013, 10:11 PM
Did you know that it was the booze runners started the whole car racing circuit?

Didn't know, but makes them a lot more cool - to some degree. Ford V8 ... That was one of the super-cars back then ... from Zero to Eighty mph in 14 seconds ... That was quite incredible back then ...