PDA

View Full Version : Fort Irwin & Colonel Kimmet... something doesn't wash

Red Shirt
Jun 8th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I did a bit of research on Fort Irwin to supplement what I already knew... With 20 years in service I managed to avoid going entirely but I did hear many tales about attending training there. <br />

Cabbage Patch
Jun 8th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Fort Irwin is a very rank heavy base. The Base Commander/Operations Group Commander is an O-7 Brigadeer General. The Garrison Commander is an O-6 full Colonel. The OPFOR Commander is an O-6 commanding a brigade.

I was in the Ops Group, which, while I was there, had five "Observer Controller Groups", each of which was commanded by an O-6, and I think they've added new OC groups since then. These officers were off the base a lot of the time, my boss seemed to have to travel to a conference or to make a presentation every week.

If the Zombie Apocalypse happened during the gap between rotations it's possible that the Garrison Commander would have been the only O-6 on the base.

Red Shirt
Jun 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Fort Irwin is a very rank heavy base. The Base Commander/Operations Group Commander is an O-7 Brigadeer General. The Garrison Commander is an O-6 full Colonel. The OPFOR Commander is an O-6 commanding a brigade.

I was in the Ops Group, which, while I was there, had five "Observer Controller Groups", each of which was commanded by an O-6, and I think they've added new OC groups since then. These officers were off the base a lot of the time, my boss seemed to have to travel to a conference or to make a presentation every week.

If the Zombie Apocalypse happened during the gap between rotations it's possible that the Garrison Commander would have been the only O-6 on the base.

You see, that is precisely the kind of holes my time in service left me with. Now that you have pointed it out, there's a good chance that the Command & OC Ops Groups weren't the only areas short handed. It'd be a good time to take leave.