PDA

View Full Version : Dog Eared Copy review of We're Alive:

Kc
May 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think you'll enjoy some of the comments on this one:

http://dogearedcopy.blogspot.com/2012/05/were-alive-story-of-survival-first.html

nikvoodoo
May 22nd, 2012, 04:15 PM
So the French woman had issues settling into the French accent?

Aww....blogger is special!

Cabbage Patch
May 22nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
I thought it was a reasonably favorable review, written by someone who clearly didn't pay very much attention and only skimmed the material. How rich is it that the reviewer's biggest complaints were that the French character, played by an actual French woman, wasn't French enough for him, and that the Filippino character, played by a Filippino-American, wasn't Filippino enough.

Hellbringer
May 22nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
on a kind-of related note (a meta-note, at that) how did this thread acquire 2 replies yet not views before I clicked on it. The internet has gone mad.

yarri
May 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Omg seriously was he drunk when he listened ??? Did the blogger not do any background research on the actors *facepalm*

Osiris
May 22nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
If you're going to skim through the material, don't bother wasting anyone's time writing a review. Favourable or not. Honestly, based off this review I wouldn't listen to the show. Clearly the blogger's knowledge of French accents comes from Peter Sellers's Inspector Clouseau movies and not from first-hand experience. Mon Dieu!

Hellbringer
May 22nd, 2012, 06:08 PM
well... the dude also said that the first season was only 12 podcasts. Good thing I listened past Chapter 4, right?

wait a minute, did this guy write reviews for all the podcasts that were nominated in the same category as We're Alive for the Audies?

VEE
May 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Actually, it's a reasonable review really, and I did get what he means about the accents, we've listened to them and are very used to them, but when I first heard Riley her accent did seem a little odd, not jarringly so, but as Claire says about herself: "Born in France, lived in London UK for a long time before moving to Los Angeles; which explains my strange accent :-)", the more I heard it the less I noticed, and Riley is one of my favourite characters.

As for Datu, no, many of my family are Indian and the accent is nothing alike. I don't know any Filippino-Americans though so can't comment on it's accuracy.

I started by saying it was a reasonable review, it is, but it's not well researched and it's a bit slapdash, but my overall feel was that it suggested giving it a listen.

Cabbage Patch
May 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
As for Datu, no, many of my family are Indian and the accent is nothing alike. I don't know any Filippino-Americans though so can't comment on it's accuracy.

One of the amazing things about most hyphenated-Americans is that they sound pretty much like every other American from the area where they grew up. From my own experience as a Korean-American I can tell you that there's no trace of my mother's accent in the way I speak. But I grew up hearing Koreans speaking English, so I know the accent very well. I'm sure that Jay Olegario's normal speaking voice offers very little evidence of his ethnic roots, but I'd bet that his "Datu" accent is spot on.