PDA

View Full Version : Kelly being called burt

StickUpKid
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hey can anyone explain why in chapter 17 why did Michael call Kelly Burt makes no sense

Osiris
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Hey can anyone explain why in chapter 17 why did Michael call Kelly Burt makes no sense

Slip of the tongue? Probably.

Creem_Filling
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Because he didn't want to give the colony her real name originally, so he quickly just decided to call her Burt. IT kinda goes along the same line as the bird names on the radios.

StickUpKid
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM
But he called pegs Peggy which is her reall name

StickUpKid
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Maybe kc could helP us with this

Creem_Filling
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Yes, but that's not what she usually goes by. So it's still in code a bit. Like I have a friend who goes by "DJ" and his real name is Dylan. But if I were to call him Dylan, most other people he knows wouldn't know who I was talking to. Because he never goes by that name.

nikvoodoo
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
He called her Peggy to try to catch her attention that something was wrong. she somewhat caught on but not fast enough.

As for kelly, the reason might be so she would bluff her weapon load (which she did) to convince victor and fernando that they were outgunned and shouldn't try to get violent. If I remember correctly, Michael's next line does exactly that: talks victor and fernando out of holding michael at gunpoint

StickUpKid
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I understood the pegs thing bad example haha but Fernando was hidden right it wouldn't have made a difference if they were out gunned I could be wrong tho

nikvoodoo
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Fernando comes out first. 17-2 15:45ish. everyone but michael had a gun out I believe.

GD_Elite
Jul 18th, 2011, 03:00 AM
He called her Peggy to try to catch her attention that something was wrong. she somewhat caught on but not fast enough.

As for kelly, the reason might be so she would bluff her weapon load (which she did) to convince victor and fernando that they were outgunned and shouldn't try to get violent. If I remember correctly, Michael's next line does exactly that: talks victor and fernando out of holding michael at gunpoint

This is what I understood it to mean.

It does still seem a bit odd, since Michael already called her Kelly. Unless they are trying to convince him that there are more than three of them there. But still, it would be obvious that there are 3 of them and that Kelly isn't a man. (probably)

Grognaurd
Jul 18th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I think most are right when they say, code that something is worng. "Burt" tells them whatever the threat is, it needs guns to deal with it.

nrtv20
Jul 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I thought he called Kelly Burt because she was mimicking Burt to sound aggressive and manly as to fool Victor into thinking there was competent soldiers protecting Michael; since Michael picked up on her acting job he called her out on it. That’s my 2 cents worth.

Kc
Jul 18th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I thought he called Kelly Burt because she was mimicking Burt to sound aggressive and manly as to fool Victor into thinking there was competent soldiers protecting Michael; since Michael picked up on her acting job he called her out on it. That’s my 2 cents worth.
Yup, you got it. Michael was giving them instructions without being explicit about it.

nikvoodoo
Jul 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Yup, you got it. Michael was giving them instructions without being explicit about it.

Thus solves another mystery. And Kelly would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those pesky kids.