PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Remake

Osiris
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I was determined to hate the idea of this until something popped up on my radar this afternoon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/13/evil-dead-remake_n_898091.html

It would appear as though the mind behind Juno is set to pen the rewrite of what I can only assume will be a surprisingly good film. Update for children of today? Sure. What the hell... I mean they're remaking everything else, why not a classic that is too often overlooked as an semi-important, mildly-influential film. If Bruce and Sam are both on board with it... I'll hop on the wagon as well.

nikvoodoo
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Well if nothing else it sounds like Bruce supports Diablo's effort to write the script. That gives me a happy.

Osiris
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Well if nothing else it sounds like Bruce supports Diablo's effort to write the script. That gives me a happy.

I'm bordering on excited at the thought of her writing the script (or at least re-writing). I really liked Juno.

smalls kenobi
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Didn't she also write Jennifer's Body? *BARF*

..I'd hit it though. :P

mem
Jul 20th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I'd watch it. I loved all 3 of the movies. Going to be hard to see Ash played by anyone other than Mr Campbell though.

Tandem25
Jul 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I am so very very very sick and tired of the remakes. Why don't we remake No Time for Sergeants and cast Larry The Cable Guy in Andy Griffiths role? Hell, it's been long enough, let's remake The Shawshank Redemption and cast Daniel Radcliffe as Andy Dufresne. Or how about a reboot of Tron with.... oh, somebody did that already, huh?
It's enough to make me puke. There are good writers with new ideas out there. Aren't there? What is the deal?
It doesn't matter what famous, "talented", cutting edge writer, director or studio wants to remake a film. It just shouldn't happen.
What made a movie good was a culmination of the writing, the acting, the directing, and the mood of the public at it's release or discovery in the case of some "cult classics". There is no need to re-hash the hashed.
I WILL admit that there are a couple of remakes that I enjoy... The Fly and Scarface. But, I saw them as a kid and they were the first version of the movies that I saw.
-Just my two cents.

fraggot
Jul 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I am so very very very sick and tired of the remakes. Why don't we remake No Time for Sergeants and cast Larry The Cable Guy in Andy Griffiths role? Hell, it's been long enough, let's remake The Shawshank Redemption and cast Daniel Radcliffe as Andy Dufresne. Or how about a reboot of Tron with.... oh, somebody did that already, huh?
It's enough to make me puke. There are good writers with new ideas out there. Aren't there? What is the deal?
It doesn't matter what famous, "talented", cutting edge writer, director or studio wants to remake a film. It just shouldn't happen.
What made a movie good was a culmination of the writing, the acting, the directing, and the mood of the public at it's release or discovery in the case of some "cult classics". There is no need to re-hash the hashed.
I WILL admit that there are a couple of remakes that I enjoy... The Fly and Scarface. But, I saw them as a kid and they were the first version of the movies that I saw.
-Just my two cents.

Well I was actually watching a documentary about this the other day and some interviews with the Directors/Writers explained why. Basically anymore, the executives of the big companies don't even want to hear an original idea anymore unless it's something that already has some ground. If it's not a popular book, comic book, remake, they won't even hear you out. They only want to make money and that's why most of the really good movies these days are done independently with small budgets.

It's sad that's it's become such a money hungry industry, but unless people change what they want to see, it won't happen. Someone has to find a way to take a stand and change the way the ball is rolling.

Osiris
Jul 20th, 2011, 04:31 PM
-Just my two cents.

Tron: Legacy was a sequel, not a remake or reboot. A reboot would be telling the same story (i.e. rehashing an origin story a la Batman Begins) slightly updated to entice a new generation, so in that respect, no. Nobody did that with Tron. Evil Dead II was essentially a remake of the first... so...

I think there is definitely a blurring of the proverbial lines when it comes to where the differences between the remake and the reboot lie. Really it becomes an argument of semantics and not really worth exploring. You're either with it or you're not.

Osiris
Jul 20th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Well I was actually watching a documentary about this the other day and some interviews with the Directors/Writers explained why. Basically anymore, the executives of the big companies don't even want to hear an original idea anymore unless it's something that already has some ground. If it's not a popular book, comic book, remake, they won't even hear you out. They only want to make money and that's why most of the really good movies these days are done independently with small budgets.

It's sad that's it's become such a money hungry industry, but unless people change what they want to see, it won't happen. Someone has to find a way to take a stand and change the way the ball is rolling.

Sounds familiar. From what I understand that's the direction Kevin Smith is taking now.

Adventureless_Hero
Jul 21st, 2011, 05:03 AM
Boo to remakes!

They better stay the fuck away from The Princess Bride.

mem
Jul 21st, 2011, 06:57 AM
Boo to remakes!

They better stay the fuck away from The Princess Bride.

i think Graham Norton is going to play Princess Buttercup.

smalls kenobi
Jul 27th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Totally agree, Christopher Nolan had to make 2 extremely successful Batman Movies just so he can get his chance to make Inception.

You know warner bros. Would've never given him the chance if his Batman was a flop.

GodofInsanity
Aug 28th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Truthfully I am all for remakes. Don't get me wrong. When I see something like The Thing or Footloose or another Spiderman, I cant my head sideways like a mutt and quizzcally look at my screen. But then usually I shrug and say cool, hope it works. Sometimes it does (Batman 1989 and Batman Begins) and sometimes it doesn't (12 Angry Men '57 vs '97). I mean movies have been remade since movies came to life taking ideas from the stage. All I ask in the end that when they come across something as iconic as say The Thing, that they take the time to do a script really well, put good money behind it, and do a job that honors the original idea.

gaijinpunk
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
NONONONONONONONONO!!!
Sweet, jumpin' Jesus on a flying, effing, MOUNTAIN BIKE!!! Can't Hollywood LEAVE THE CLASSIC MOVIES ALONE and work on NEW MATERIAL???
(Like say, the cinematic adaptation of We're Alive? Are you listening Mr. DeMille???)