PDA

View Full Version : Tooth and Nail by Craig DiLouie

Cabbage Patch
Jun 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I wanted to highly recommend the book "Tooth and Nail", by Craig DiLouie. It's available from Amazon either in hard copy or as a Kindle download.

It's a story about a small Army unit that has been pulled out of Iraq and sent to New York City to help cope with a flu pandemic. The flu mutates, a large percentage of its victims become zombies, and the fun begins. The book does an excellent job of exploring the personality dynamics within an Army unit, and of showing just how effective military weapons are on things made out of flesh and blood, be they human or zombie.

A number of the characters and situations in this book are going to remind you of "We're Alive". You'll recognize counterparts of Michael, Angel, Saul, and even Burt among the soldiers. And you'll definitely sympathize with the survivors in the apartment complexes, surrounded by streets full of abandoned vehicles and hordes of zombies.

Grognaurd
Jun 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Meh, he really should have scaled it down to 1/2 squad level or squad level at best. I do not think he handles platoon / company level engagements well. Infection http://www.amazon.com/The-Infection-ebook/dp/B004LGS4UW/ref=pd_sim_kinc_2?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2 is better and the one he chose for a sequel

I also liked Eden http://www.amazon.com/Eden-ebook/dp/B00267SXKY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1308161473&sr=8-4

Cabbage Patch
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
To be fair, I haven't known many platoon leaders or company commanders who hanlde platoon/company level engagements well.

Regarding familiar characters, I didn't mean that you could equate individual characters so much as that you could recognize characteristics among the soldiers and equate them with the soldiers characters from WA. I thought I recognized bits of Angel in some of the officers, bits of Michael in the squad leaders, bits of Saul in some of the enlisted.

Grognaurd
Jun 15th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Yea, Band of Brothers is about Easy Company. More than 100 dudes when at full strength. But there are probably what 20 named characters with speaking parts through the series?

ClearSights
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
If this was an audio book id def buy it, not that much into reading

Cabbage Patch
Jun 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
There is an audio book version of Tooth and Nail that you can get through Audible, or other sources.

FYI, just noticed that Craig DiLouie has another book out on zombies called "The Infection". Sounds like it's the story of another group against the same setting as Tooth and Nail. I've got it downloading to my iPod Touch as I type.

ClearSights
Jun 15th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Ohh sweet, I just found the audiobook and downloaded it. Im going to be listening to it tomorrow at work and ill leave my impressions here

Ra1th
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I'll be sure to check it out

Magrat
Jun 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM
got the sample for kindle ready to go and if it reads well shall get the audio book too

ClearSights
Jun 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Just listened to the first like 2 hours of it at work and id give it about a 7/10. I just got to the part where the lab people got turned. Its really interesting, Ill give it that. But it goes kind of fast I think and there is lots of information you need to pay attension to. Other then that im def gona keep listening to it at work. It is really entertaining.

Especially the way that they defined the virus

Cabbage Patch
Jun 19th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Just finished "The Infection". Awesome story. The nature of the zombies is different from "Tooth and Nail", in ways that make that aspect of the story a lot more like "We're Alive" (k.e. mutants). I highly recommend it.

ClearSights
Jun 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Ill have to check that out next cabbage patch. Im almost done with tooth and nail on audiobook and its so good

Cabbage Patch
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Craig Dilouie has a new book that came out yesterday. It's called "The Killing Floor" and is a follow up to "The Infection". It's supposed to take up where The Infection left off, with the US military absorbing reinforcements coming home from the Middle East and counter-attacking to re-take areas lost to the infection. I just downloaded the Kindle edition and expect to lose myself in it starting this evening.

Loyal Retainer
Jun 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Craig Dilouie has a new book that came out yesterday. It's called "The Killing Floor" and is a follow up to "The Infection". It's supposed to take up where The Infection left off, with the US military absorbing reinforcements coming home from the Middle East and counter-attacking to re-take areas lost to the infection. I just downloaded the Kindle edition and expect to lose myself in it starting this evening.

I have read all three of his books in the last week. I thought they were all pretty good. Characters were likable and developed well. I had a few problems with minor details, the guy doesn't seem to know much about certain military lingo and I laughed at a part that was in Infection (I think it was infection, I read all of them one after another so I might be confused) where he says the lady cop, Wendy, flipped the safety on her Glock to fire. I've own many Glocks and have never seen one with an external safety because they don't exist.

Cabbage Patch
Jun 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have read all three of his books in the last week. I thought they were all pretty good. Characters were likable and developed well. I had a few problems with minor details, the guy doesn't seem to know much about certain military lingo and I laughed at a part that was in Infection (I think it was infection, I read all of them one after another so I might be confused) where he says the lady cop, Wendy, flipped the safety on her Glock to fire. I've own many Glocks and have never seen one with an external safety because they don't exist.

To his credit, diLouie's military lingo got better from book to book (crew served machineguns went from being 30 cals in Tooth and Nail to M-240 Bravos in The Killing Floor). The Glock thing never fails to amuse me too. You see it all the time on TV, where they seem to love adding that clicking noise of a (non-existent) mechanical safety being disengaged. I assume that's the work of editors and producers who just love their gun noises!