PDA

View Full Version : Landing at Fort Irwin

Private Parts
May 19th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I dont think this has been posted so here goes,

has anyone noticed that the whole point for taking a chopper to fort irwin was there was no-where to land? Well thanks to the interactive map I found this. There is a military airfeild right bang next to fort irwin! I presume bicicle lake airbase is for ferrying troops? It may not be as saul and micheal would remember it. This bit with the birds is a waste of time for the tower. Does kc know this? If so did you go for the helis just to add a twist or the like in? I just thought it was rather silly.

Parts

Grognaurd
May 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Although there is an airport. What condition is it currently? Kalani had to crash his plane because LAX was so screwed up and only three made it out of LAX alive. Granted some of the KIA could be caused by Zombies, others may have been lost in the crash. Maybe Kalani does not want to role the dice again.

Blood & Ice Cream
May 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
a helicopter is much more practical to take off and land than a plane, you don't need a dedicated helipad, in an emergency a helicopter could be landed just about anywhere if you have the space

plus the tower is planning to use the roof of the tower as a helipad

Kc
May 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I'm aware of the landing strip ;) I've been to Fort Irwin a few times.

Kn1ckerb0cker33
May 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Perhaps we should assume that any landing strip, including the one at Fort Irwin, would be too cluttered to land a plane safely and that by taking choppers it would be easier for them to land since they need a significantly smaller space to land and takeoff.

Don Man
May 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
doesnt matter they will never leave the tower and would they its awesome :)

Private Parts
May 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Perhaps we should assume that any landing strip, including the one at Fort Irwin, would be too cluttered to land a plane safely and that by taking choppers it would be easier for them to land since they need a significantly smaller space to land and takeoff.

And transportarion from the airfeild might be a problem as its a few miles. With the heli they can just land straght in the middle(assuming theres a helipad!)

Parts

GodofInsanity
May 20th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Plus there is the fact that with a helicopter, if you land and then need to bail and take off quick, you do not have to worry about a clear runway. There is always a chance that with a fixed wing aircraft that you may get down but dont have the clearance to turn and take back off.

rolsskk
May 22nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
I hardly doubt that it'd be cluttered. The biggest issue would be knowing the condition of the runway and the airplane itself. The spool-up time is going to be significantly longer than a helicopter, not to mention there's a lot a prep time that'd go into just getting a larger airframe good to go.

Luna Guardian
May 22nd, 2011, 12:40 PM
Couple of problems with the airfield theory:

1) as already mentioned, the survivors have no idea and no way to find out the condition of the airstrip at Fort Irwin, therefore making a landing potentially impossible, something the Tower couldn't afford.
2) Forget about landing for a second. How would they take off? LAX has been described as a wreck and even if they had a clear strip, they would have to find a plane that works and is gassed up (something that they could probably do, but the wrecked airfield is still a problem).
3) Flying an airplane is a lot more difficult than flying a helicopter. Kalani is the only qualified pilot they have and if they couldn't get an airplane big enough to fit everyone, it'd be very risky for the survivors to fly with whoever is the second pilot.

shananala8
May 22nd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Also, as Kalani mentioned, there are additional risks in taking off in a plane if the noise attracts fleshbiters. If birds can force a crash landing into the Hudson River, having a fleshbiter decide he needs a haircut via your plane engine probably doesn't bode well for your chances of success.

rolsskk
May 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
3) Flying an airplane is a lot more difficult than flying a helicopter. Kalani is the only qualified pilot they have and if they couldn't get an airplane big enough to fit everyone, it'd be very risky for the survivors to fly with whoever is the second pilot.
Ummm. . .have you flown a helicopter before? They're way more complicated than an airplane due to having to constantly adjusting the pitch of the main rotor, which makes flying a plane is a whole lot easier than flying a helicopter, and it'd be a lot easier to get someone trained to fly an airplane.

Nevermatter
May 23rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
I dont think that the character of Kalani would have been created as a pilot if that skill was not gonna come into play at some point right? Im not entirely familiar with how helicopters work but they do seem to be good for situations with little space to take off and land. Even if they wouldn't use it in order to evacuate the tower it would be nice to use for scouting and information gathering.

Also I would love to see the top of a zombies head get chopped off by the blade just like in the beginning of the original Dawn of the Dead... but thats just me.

Private Parts
May 24th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Couple of problems with the airfield theory:

1) as already mentioned, the survivors have no idea and no way to find out the condition of the airstrip at Fort Irwin, therefore making a landing potentially impossible, something the Tower couldn't afford.
2) Forget about landing for a second. How would they take off? LAX has been described as a wreck and even if they had a clear strip, they would have to find a plane that works and is gassed up (something that they could probably do, but the wrecked airfield is still a problem).

Flying a chopper is incredibly hard to. I think the season will end with A jumper

Private Parts
May 24th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I dont think that the character of Kalani would have been created as a pilot if that skill was not gonna come into play at some point right? Im not entirely familiar with how helicopters work but they do seem to be good for situations with little space to take off and land. Even if they wouldn't use it in order to evacuate the tower it would be nice to use for scouting and information gathering.

Also I would love to see the top of a zombies head get chopped off by the blade just like in the beginning of the original Dawn of the Dead... but thats just me.

And damage the rotor blade? no thanks!

kafu288
May 24th, 2011, 12:34 AM
how would you see that in an audio medium?

nikvoodoo
May 24th, 2011, 12:58 AM
how would you see that in an audio medium?

with a line that says "Holy crap! The rotor blade took that one's head clean off!"

Solanine
May 25th, 2011, 05:26 AM
So Parts, question answered now? Also, Kalani listed the reasons in an episode, I'm sure of it. And even if Fort Irwin does have a landing strip in real life why should it in We're alive? The tower doesn't exist according to google maps. Its fiction, unless I dosed of and missed it, weird ass creatures haven't taken over the world.

Bravo Team Leader
May 25th, 2011, 06:32 AM
That base is a stretch. I would have tried 29 Palms or NAB Coronado. Anyway I'm sure the location will work being in the middle of nowhere.IE less people alive or dead.

Kn1ckerb0cker33
May 25th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I hardly doubt that it'd be cluttered. The biggest issue would be knowing the condition of the runway and the airplane itself. The spool-up time is going to be significantly longer than a helicopter, not to mention there's a lot a prep time that'd go into just getting a larger airframe good to go.

Well there would always be the possibility of the air-strip being cluttered like LAX was when Burt and Saul were looking for the helicopter. Not knowing anything about helicopters (you seem to know much more), I can't say anything about prep time or how long it takes to get one off the ground, but a large plane can't be much easier to prep, let alone land on an airstrip that could be in disarray.

Plus, I was motioning in favor of the helicopter since a plane would be harder to land, I wasn't saying a plane would be a better option.