PDA

View Full Version : Pippins accent....just no

Decomposed Ass2Ass
May 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Anyone else hating Pippens accent? He's only been in the last 2 episodes for a short period of time but wow this is pretty bad. It's quite obvious the person isn't actually English and doesn't really have any good reference to a real English accent. His acting sounds like the joke voices from an episode of south park or family guy. He really is the stereotypical Englishman, I'm hoping that this hooks into the story in a way. Maybe he's actually not English and just putting it on to hide his identity (wishful thinking) but seriously I was surprised he didn't come out with "pip pop old chaps, cup a' tea anyone?"
Also I'm from the uk-scotland and know alot of English people so know how they sound

mr boom95
May 3rd, 2011, 03:07 AM
your entilted to your opinion but i really do like his voice alot

Decomposed Ass2Ass
May 3rd, 2011, 04:24 AM
your entilted to your opinion but i really do like his voice alot

Your entitled to yours too lol and wow maybe I'm alone here on this one

lkiam
May 3rd, 2011, 06:40 AM
You're not alone on this one. I just can't take his accent seriously.

j0be
May 3rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
I really haven't heard enough of him to really notice. He's had a grand total of about a dozen lines.

Boomstick
May 3rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Yeah I second what JObe said. I haven't really heard him enough to make a fair judgement.

Tandem25
May 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Don't feel bad. You're not alone. The accent grinded at my eardrums. It sounded so un-natural.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 3rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
British accents are hard to pull off consistantly anyway. He's obviously meant to be a Brit though. He could be an expat and his accent has faded a bit???

Crocketman
May 3rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
It's a stereotypical British accent... I think that's why, it's not a common dialect you would hear.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 3rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
I agree. The British Butler accent. Uptight, hat wearing, can using sterotype. LOL

WestonWisdom
May 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Hello, this will be the first time I say something negative about We're Alive and I don't want it to come across as flaming etc.

Pippen's accent really doesn't sit well with me as a native Brit, it sounds incredibly false and forced at the moment, but this isn't something Kc or the voice actor should feel bad about.

Firstly, british accents in the majority of American media, terrible in my opinion(I'm sure you feel the same about American accents in British media), they tend to fall into exagerating the stereotype. Can I also add, he really sounds nothing like the traditional butler or stereotype.

Secondly, Pippen has had a dozen lines, and the lack of rehersal that I understand We're Alive falls victim
to is probably also a factor, I am sure Kc wouldn't have cast the actor if he didn't think him up to the job, and I am sure as he becomes more conformbatle with the role and situation, Pippen's accent will improve.

So yeah, /ElitistBritishOpinion

Edit: Unless of course the actor is faking his accent, that would be superb.

Rock Daddy
May 4th, 2011, 12:17 PM

I also think that would be nice twist if he was a "Maller" faking the accent... But what would his motive be? Would it be because someone from the tower would recognize his actual voice?

mascaria
May 4th, 2011, 12:21 PM

This is my guess? The accent seems to go in and out...

Decomposed Ass2Ass
May 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback :D I re-listened to the newest episode again to hear pippin again and it still isn't sitting right with me. Just living in the UK really means u can tell straight away when it's a fake/bad accent (hopefully fake on purpose and he is another mole)

mascaria
May 4th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Just realized what forum this was in and moved it to The Characters since that's a more appropriate place.

Hellbringer
May 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
am I thought the guy was an aussie. I expect something more than meeting the eye when it comes to Pippen in the next episode.

Creem_Filling
May 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I thought he sounded like the british guy from Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood. I can't remember his name, but the guy who is an asshat to Desmund the whole time.

Walrusgus
May 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I thought he sounded like the british guy from Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood. I can't remember his name, but the guy who is an asshat to Desmund the whole time.

I think it Shawn/Shaun. That guys a dick.

I hadn't seen this post before but i agree with it completely. There is something not quite right about the voice. It's a weird mix of things I think. Maybe the guy has moved from Britain to somewhere else?

Rock Daddy's idea is cool though! A perfect twist.

clarkie
May 5th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah, being a Brit too I seriously can't stand the accent. 99% of the people don't talk in that way. Aside from anything else though, it's not even an accurate stereotypical accent. It seems inconsistent - often dipping into an Australian and even South African accent. This makes me think that the character is putting on the accent. Perhaps he is actually Aussie, Kiwi or South African...

EDIT: To back up my point listen to the way he says 'No, just that one' when Michael asks him if he has any other weapons. That's not an English accent. Whether it's the actor or the character, that sounds very South African/Kiwi (they are similar accents).

Hellbringer
May 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah, being a Brit too I seriously can't stand the accent. 99% of the people don't talk in that way. Aside from anything else though, it's not even an accurate stereotypical accent. It seems inconsistent - often dipping into an Australian and even South African accent. This makes me think that the character is putting on the accent. Perhaps he is actually Aussie, Kiwi or South African...

EDIT: To back up my point listen to the way he says 'No, just that one' when Michael asks him if he has any other weapons. That's not an English accent. Whether it's the actor or the character, that sounds very South African/Kiwi (they are similar accents).

I thought the same thing when I watched the first episode of Spooks. I was like "Amercians don't sound like that... is that woman from New York, Texas, or the Deep South? Please make up your mind, woman!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought he heard some Aussie in there with Pippen. I think Pippen is putting on a show for the Tower and that's why he's speaking like he does.

WestonWisdom
May 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I thought the same thing when I watched the first episode of Spooks. I was like "Amercians don't sound like that... is that woman from New York, Texas, or the Deep South? Please make up your mind, woman!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought he heard some Aussie in there with Pippen. I think Pippen is putting on a show for the Tower and that's why he's speaking like he does.

On further consideration, I begin to think(hope?), that Pippen's accent is a plot point rather than a failure of the voice actor.

mascaria
May 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I would feel really bad for the voice actor if he's really just trying to do a British accent but failing :(
Sorry voice actor! But if it's intentional (which I think it is) then good job!

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 6th, 2011, 08:54 AM
There are very few American actors who can pull off an accurate accent of any country for some reason. Not so if it's the other way around though.
Bloody 'ell, look at Bana or Christian Bale's role as Mickey Ward's brother. Anway, i almost went way off topic. Sorry.
I think the accent is fine no matter what it's purpose. At the very basic level, we all KNOW what it's supposed to be. That's what's important right?

WestonWisdom
May 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM
There are very few American actors who can pull off an accurate accent of any country for some reason. Not so if it's the other way around though.
Bloody 'ell, look at Bana or Christian Bale's role as Mickey Ward's brother. Anway, i almost went way off topic. Sorry.
I think the accent is fine no matter what it's purpose. At the very basic level, we all KNOW what it's supposed to be. That's what's important right?

Sorry, No, it breaks realism for me, but perhaps thats exclusive to UK listeners.

Rock Daddy
May 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
It's a tough sell. It is VERY exaggerated... But I do realize Kc has to add unique voices into the mix to better differentiate the characters of this audio drama. Hence, an accent really helps, at least with some of the other characters. I personally am a big fan of Victor's voice work. I work with people who were born in the UK, but live in the US now. Their accents have become more Americanized over the years, and you don't really notice it until they are a few sentences in, or pronouncing certain words. I would think this guy should only have a SLIGHT accent, but we don't know who Pippen is or where he's from. I guess Kc wanted this guy to sound like this for a reason, and we'll see how it plays out.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
May 6th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I'm signing off this thread by saying this:

The first thing people thought was "British" even if the accent is wack to an edjamacated ear *wink wink*.
It served it's purpose.

I'm outty so Live Long and Prosper or Stay thirsty my friends!!!

mythicgr66
May 6th, 2011, 06:39 PM
why is it when people do a british accent is either a posh snooty accent or a cockney, plus Pippin really, Great Expectations, Charles Dickins, the book every english person must read for are English GCSE's (although my name is Alexander Richard Smith, Dont Smirk :mad:) this charater is the most stereotypical british person i have seen in a while, besides southpark

Just make pippin a nickname he was given by the mallerz (hell because of southpark), because he was english, remove the accent just replace some words instead of erbs its HHerbs because there is a f'ing H in it. (HAHA thank you Eddie Izzard, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz4Ps55Rx40&NR=1)

Hellbringer
May 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I'm signing off this thread by saying this:

The first thing people thought was "British" even if the accent is wack to an edjamacated ear *wink wink*.
It served it's purpose.

I'm outty so Live Long and Prosper or Stay thirsty my friends!!!

I'm with you on the accent serving its purpose. By no means am I saying I hate the character or the voice actor. I was under the impression that the dude was trying to be Australian, which apparently puts me on an island with the population of two.

What I say about "Spooks" though, I stand by 100%. That woman in that episode was not someone I cared for (so off-topic from normal We're Alive stuff).

Decomposed Ass2Ass
May 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Hurray i got this discussed on we're not dead ^___^ I'm chuffed gotta admit lol

COsurvivor
May 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM
i think i heard this guy on another podcast...

Pikepaw
May 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I think We're Alive is insert subliminal messages. People with accents, particularly from somewhere in the British Commonwealth, cannot be trusted. duh, Duh, DUH!!!

Daftguitarman
May 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
yeah, its defo a stereotypical English accent, i should know since i am english lol, i literally said to myself (when i first realised there was gonna be a british guy on we're alive) "ohhh christ no! its a stereotype!" and it was even worse when i found out his name was pippin...ohh the shame.

at least all you guys agree on the same thing though.

mem
May 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
throw pip pip off the top of the tower

nikvoodoo
May 18th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I think We're Alive is insert subliminal messages. People with accents, particularly from somewhere in the British Commonwealth, cannot be trusted. duh, Duh, DUH!!!

That's not so much subliminal as a trade secret of sorts. It allows for quick pigeonholing of characters if you make them sound a certain way, and to the North American (more specifically American) ear British accents carry two meanings: High Class Aristocrat and/or untrustworthy (Thanks Revolutionary War!). By contrast, French accents tend to more often promote loyalty and comfort (Thanks Revolutionary War!).

clarkie
May 24th, 2011, 07:39 AM
The whole Pippen's accent thing reminds me of how the English guys in Uncharted are always the bad guys.

Jeebogs
May 25th, 2011, 06:31 AM
British accent (however accomplished) in American show = villain. It's the law (apparently)

I must admit, he does sound a little Dick Van Dyke from Mary Poppins - a little bit upper class, a little bit cockney, a little bit WTF?
That's the reason I think Pip is a little suspect.

Uber Behemoth
May 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
it seems pretty ok. not bad enough that you can't tell that its supposed to be british lol

j0be
May 26th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I don't mind Pippin's accent, but then again, my entire consumption of British accents have been through the media, so I might just have no clue.

yarri
May 26th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I thought he sounded a great deal like an over educated Londoner, then again its been 20 years since I have been in the UK so my memory of regional accents is buried in the depths of my brain .

kafu288
May 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
just look at... dude that plays house (I'm totally blanking right now). English actor, does an american accent on tv so people know he is teh good guy. You have to use every subtle clue you have to your advantage

j0be
May 26th, 2011, 07:30 AM
just look at... dude that plays house (I'm totally blanking right now). English actor, does an american accent on tv so people know he is teh good guy. You have to use every subtle clue you have to your advantage

Hugh Laurie, and he's definitely not the only one. Simon Baker (The Mentalist), Hugh Jackman (Wolverine, and much more), and others. Those are just from the top of my mind.

Jeebogs
May 26th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Although Hugh Jackman and Simon baker are Australians.
Are Australians considered evil in the U.S?

j0be
May 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM

Lol. It's non-american english accents to me. What do I know?
G'day mate!

Ryan
May 27th, 2011, 09:50 PM
yeah, its defo a stereotypical English accent, i should know since i am english lol, i literally said to myself (when i first realised there was gonna be a british guy on we're alive) "ohhh christ no! its a stereotype!" and it was even worse when i found out his name was pippin...ohh the shame.
It's like a British accent from someone whose only exposure to British accents was Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. ;)

Ra1th
May 27th, 2011, 09:51 PM

Yep, the moment we find out someone's Australian we burn em at the stake