PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Pages : [1] 2

mascaria
Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Kind of like the what are you listening to thread, but about books!
I don't know about you but I'm always looking for new book suggestions so....

What are you reading? Are you enjoying it? Should we read it too?

mascaria
Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:12 PM
I'm usually reading two books at once - one fiction one nonfiction.

So currently I'm reading Under the Dome by Stephen King and Surpassing the Love of Men by Lillian Faderman.

Under the Dome is really interesting so far. I love the ideas that King comes up with. Stephen King used to be a really guilty pleasure read of mine but I'm over my fake haughtiness of reading. He's gross and crass but really a great horror writer.

Surpassing the Love of Men is a book about the history of the romantic friendship between women... It's really fascinating.

Zombiehead
Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
At the moment the only books I'm actively reading (aside from a few unfinished zombie novels) is the Sookie Stackhouse series. I read all the books and just waiting on the new one to show up in May.

mascaria
Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Are they good? I read the first one and got to a quasi rapey scene and was kinda turned off by it so I put it aside. I've seen the show and I enjoy it but apparently the show and the books are different.

Zombiehead
Mar 24th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Yes, they awesome. I tried to read just one at a time, and soon realized I should start ordering 2 at a time because I sped through them so fast.

The show and books are very different. VERY different. Producers added alot of useless drawn out crap to the tv show for content. Season 1 plot was somewhat the same. They strayed from the story heavily in Season 2 and kept very few book elements in Season 3 unfortunately. The Fae don't dance around in sparkly dresses like they're on ectasy, they actually kill things. Secondary characters are just that, secondary. All supernatural beings stay true to their nature (fighting and biting) so yes there's sporadic examples of feeding and breeding which is expected but not distracting. The books make much more sense and are far more humorous and entertaining.

Wicked Sid
Mar 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM
(aside from a few unfinished zombie novels)

I may be full of myself but is this a reference to me? If it is, I'm sorry I swear I will get back on it. I just need some free/alone time.

Back on topic, some formulas for special relativity in terms of time... Nothing major. But for fun, I'm reading the Lord Of The Rings series again. Probably go through the Forgotten Realms books I have, again.

mascaria
Mar 24th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Is Forgotten Realms the books with Drizzt?

j0be
Mar 24th, 2011, 05:40 PM
If you haven't read it, you need to read the novel for I Am Legend. The movie was good, but didn't stay true to the story almost at all. Totally different story. Plus the book actually explains much more about the outbreak, and even explains the story's title.

Teethingbiscuit
Mar 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM
j0be, awesome ending. Have to by a whole book to read 50 pages though. Another good one in the genre is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
Currently listening/reading From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll. The arrow of time. Not saying I follow it but I am paying attention. Any one care to explain entropy?
Teether

Zombiehead
Mar 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I may be full of myself but is this a reference to me? If it is, I'm sorry I swear I will get back on it. I just need some free/alone time.Not at all. I was refering to stories like World War Z, The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten, and Morning Star Strain. I think those are names. I made the mistake of reading J.L. Bourne first and now nothing is good enough. I'll get back to them eventually.

Hollomandious
Mar 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
This post. Facebook statuses. Work emails.

Never been a novel/story/book person.

But i can read, and quite well. No stuttering or slow downs when reading aloud. Why did i just get all defensive?

ObamaCat
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I've got a pile of books sitting on my desk that I intend to read and I've decided to start with Glen Cook's: The Black Company. Haven't gotten too far at all but I've heard good things about it.

Wicked Sid
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Is Forgotten Realms the books with Drizzt?

Yeah.

@ZombieHead,

Cool, they sound pretty good.

Th3_T3ch
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I've read the J.L. Bourne's, can't wait for his third installment, "I am Legend", portions of "World War Z", it never really interested me, and I'm currently reading "The New Dead" which is a collection of zombie stories. After that I will probably read "The Recent Dead", another book of zombie short stories.

mem
Mar 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Rereading the Elric series

Chogidog
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Just downloaded 2 books, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies & Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer, Not sure how they'll be but I'm going away for a few days and hope to get some reading in.

cycogod
Mar 26th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Not at all. I was refering to stories like World War Z, The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten, and Morning Star Strain. I think those are names. I made the mistake of reading J.L. Bourne first and now nothing is good enough. I'll get back to them eventually.

Very true..after J L Bourne it is very hard to find anything as good.
I tend to go with audiobooks..the Day to Day series is awesome.have you heard any good ones?

Tandem25
Apr 20th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I just finished Pillars of the Earth recently and am currently looking for a good book. I just checked out the J.L. Bourne site. Looks like I found what I was looking for. Thanks!

COsurvivor
Apr 21st, 2011, 08:49 PM
I have been reading the Dies the Fire series, it is about what happens when technology STOPS and we have to go back to Medieval style living and such... Read it, it is good...

itsallgoodie
Apr 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM
I dont read much, I like story though. I love the Harry Potter books. the ending is outstanding. I cant really get over it. The movies sucked though. like super hard...

Canadianfan
Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
I just finished Carrue Ryan's "The Forest of Hands and Teeth" - a great zombie book that doesn't use the word zombie, and just started Jonathan Maberry's "Bad Moon Rising".

BoomerXL
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Currently reading through Separation of Power, which is part of Vince Flynn's series of books (it follows a CIA operative named Mitch Rapp) and also reading the paperback versions of the Walking Dead comics (just finished volume 11)

Only recently started ready again recently, topics of interest are action/thriller, mystery and of course any novels with zombies in it...lol, suggestions are welcome

DogFromDuckhunt
May 6th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Lee Child The Killing Floor. About halfway through it. Pretty good. Hoping it doesn't go the route of the Harry Bosch books and age the character up so much as the series goes on.

Leedo2502
May 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Currently reading through Separation of Power, which is part of Vince Flynn's series of books (it follows a CIA operative named Mitch Rapp) and also reading the paperback versions of the Walking Dead comics (just finished volume 11)

Only recently started ready again recently, topics of interest are action/thriller, mystery and of course any novels with zombies in it...lol, suggestions are welcome

I love the Vince Flynn, Mitch Rapp books! Did you read the newest one that deals with Rapp's recruitment and training? Pretty good stuff.

Right now I'm reading Gladiator by English author Simmon Scarrow, another series following the (mis)adventures of Macro and Cato in the Imperial Roman Army.

Eviebae
May 8th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Are they good? I read the first one and got to a quasi rapey scene and was kinda turned off by it so I put it aside. I've seen the show and I enjoy it but apparently the show and the books are different.

The books are better in some ways--For example, the Maenad doesn't die in the book and in fact hardly shows up at all. She just makes the rounds to various vampire territories and demands tribute (an animal to tear apart) or else she causes an insanity in vampires that makes them super destructive.

A lot of books these days are long on concept but a bit short on execution. Her writing isn't fantastic, but it gets the job done.

I like the Parasol Protectorate (http://www.amazon.com/Soulless-Parasol-Protectorate-Gail-Carriger/dp/0316056634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304915175&sr=8-1) series of books. Again, long on concept, but better written.

I'm reading the nonfiction "The Other Brain (http://www.amazon.com/Other-Brain-Schizophrenia-Discoveries-Revolutionizing/dp/B0048ELECM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304915642&sr=8-1)" and I just finished "Tooth and Nail (http://www.amazon.com/Tooth-Nail-Craig-Dilouie/dp/1930486987/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304915602&sr=8-1)"

timberwoof
May 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Halo Crytum

Creem_Filling
May 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Today, I finished read the Chaos Walking trilogy. Imagine living in a world where all your thougths were projected out of your mind, that's what this book is. A boy named Todd is forced to leave his hometown and warn the rest of the world of Mayor Pretiss's army he has built up and stop him. Anymore would be spoilers, but I was expecting the worst from this book when my friend loaned it to me. I was pleasantly surprised by the awesomeness of it. It's an emotional rollar coaster as well, I teared up multiple times, if your into that.

Mikeyd2tall
May 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
im currently running through the harry potter series yet again. gonna brush up on the books and movies for my blog so i can review 7 part 2 with a Huge recource of info. but normally whatever i can get my hands on.

Eviebae
May 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM
im currently running through the harry potter series yet again. gonna brush up on the books and movies for my blog so i can review 7 part 2 with a Huge recource of info. but normally whatever i can get my hands on.

Have you listened to them on tape/cd? Jim Dale is excellent.

Creem_Filling
May 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Not at all. I was refering to stories like World War Z, The Zombies of Lake Woebegotten, and Morning Star Strain. I think those are names. I made the mistake of reading J.L. Bourne first and now nothing is good enough. I'll get back to them eventually.

A friend loaned me Day by Day. And Bourne's facebook page actually lead me to We're Alive. The book was brilliant and I'm eternally grateful for being lead here.

MrScott101
May 11th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Have you listened to them on tape/cd? Jim Dale is excellent.

I have all 7 audiobooks and they are spectacular! I've read the first 5 books but having the audiobooks makes it easier at work! I have way too much going at home lately to ready anything but when I do I'm using reading one book or another in the dragonlance series.

Osiris
May 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Currently finishing At The Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft (for the second time) and about to re-read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

smalls kenobi
May 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM
i'm currently on book 7 of John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series, i'm a few books behind, but it is an excellent series. it's aimed at teens but it deals with some adult situations, like Drug abuse and torture. it follows a guy named Will from the age of 15 into adulthood, it's a great adventure series, he'd kick Harry Potter's ass, haha. but yeah, if you love bow and arrows, castles, epic battles, horses and other midevil type things then this series is a must read.

it's kind of a mashup between Fable and Assassin's Creed.

Tandem25
May 12th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Just about to start Ken Follet's World Without End. My wife just picked it up for me at our local resale bookstore. Waiting for J.L. Bourne's D.B.D.A. Beyond Exile.

Boomstick
May 12th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Waiting for J.L. Bourne's D.B.D.A. Beyond Exile.
That's a Great Book!!! Right now I am reading Do androids dream of electric sheep, after that I will probably read The Rising by Brian Keene.

Creem_Filling
May 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Today I had no book and began writing one instead. It was oddly satisfying. Highly recommend it if your in between books at the moment!

BoomerXL
May 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I love the Vince Flynn, Mitch Rapp books! Did you read the newest one that deals with Rapp's recruitment and training? Pretty good stuff.

Haven't read that one yet...guess I could read it though since I know it's a prologue

ilanagl
May 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Last night I finished project x. It was pretty good.

Osiris
May 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
I just picked up Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (she wrote Seabiscuit). So far it's fantastic. Definitely recommend.

Ctatyk Frost
May 24th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Just finished "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig followed by "Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals" by the same author.
I'm also reading some book by Tad Williams. I can't even recall the title at the moment as it is by my bed. Not his best effort.....
I really need to pick up some new books. It appears that a trip to the book store is on the agenda for this weekend too.

j0be
May 25th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I just started World War Z. I think someone else here mentioned it before, but I picked it up totally unrelated to that.

Osiris
May 25th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I just started World War Z. I think someone else here mentioned it before, but I picked it up totally unrelated to that.

Good read, bro. Good read.

Unrelated, I picked up zombie, Ohio the other day... but I'm in the middle of Unbroken (which is amazing) so it remains unread, on the shelf.

Drew227598
May 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM
If you haven't read it, you need to read the novel for I Am Legend. The movie was good, but didn't stay true to the story almost at all. Totally different story. Plus the book actually explains much more about the outbreak, and even explains the story's title.

The movie with Will Smith is the 3rd movie based off of that book, The first one had Vincent Price and is called Last man of Earth (1964) then Omega Man with Charlton Heston (1971) and finally I am legend with Will Smith (2007). My personal opinion is that the first one sticks closest to the book, the second one has that 70's feel and the third is good but strays from the book to much.

Osiris
May 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM
The movie with Will Smith is the 3rd movie based off of that book, The first one had Vincent Price and is called Last man of Earth (1964) then Omega Man with Charlton Heston (1971) and finally I am legend with Will Smith (2007). My personal opinion is that the first one sticks closest to the book, the second one has that 70's feel and the third is good but strays from the book to much.

True story. The Last Man On Earth was wonderful. I prefer it over the latter films. Could be that I'm just not a Woll Smoth fan.

Drew227598
May 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM
True story. The Last Man On Earth was wonderful. I prefer it over the latter films. Could be that I'm just not a Woll Smoth fan.

Funny Story I found it in a 7 11 for 2 bucks and had no idea what it was when I bought it. I just thought the title was cool and it seemed like something I would like. From there I read the book and then found Omega Man which was good but still not as good as the first one. I was in Baghdad when will smiths movie came out but we managed to get a good bootleg so I was able to see that over there, enjoyed it but again still not as good as the first one. If your are into books like that try Earth Abides, by George R Stewart, I am about half way through it and it's pretty good

Drew227598
May 28th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Some of the books I have read in the past few months which are with the read

Patriots: A novel of Survival in the coming collapse (hard first few chapters but then well worth it!!)
Alas, Babylon (Cold War goes Hot)
One Second After
Patient Zero
The Art of War
Star Wars: Death Troopers
Hater
Both Day by Day Armageddon books
Both Plague of the Dead books
The Walking Dead graphic novels
Dying to live

I just downloaded Atlas Shrugged, it's 2 min shy of 63 hours, I have a 17 hour international flight coming up so I am saving some of it for then. Most of the books are zombie or end of the world type books.

smalls kenobi
Jun 8th, 2011, 05:30 PM
well atm i'm reading the entire Blackest Night series. i'm only 8 books in and it's probably the most epic comic book story i have ever read!

Heyyouinthebushes
Jun 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Well, for the non-genre crowd, I just finished Youth by J.M. Coetzee. It was amazing. Moving on to Post Office by Charles Bukowski. Then The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano.

One book I can't recommend enough is The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway. I guess I would call it a story of growing up and friendships, but set in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi world.

kafu288
Jun 13th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I just read the first Sherlock Holmes book and now I'm onto Dracula (love the free books on ibooks). Then I've got The Game by Neil Strauss and, if I ever manage to track them down, the second and third books in the His Dark Materials trilogy.

EDIT: Oh and the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th books in the Dexter series

Osiris
Jun 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Right now I'm on a bit of a Kevin Smith kick...

Silent Bob Speaks: The Collected Writings of Kevin Smith
My Boring Ass Life (also by Kevin Smith)
Batman: Cacophony
Batman: The Widening Gyre

Magrat
Jun 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Steve Erickson's Malazan book of the Fallen series. Good fantasy series with an enormous scope that is actually able to be followed.

cupcakezombie
Jun 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Re-reading Harry Potter 7 for the movie and Wheel of Time, the whole series, to be ready for the last book next year. I am REALLY excited for the last Wheel of Time book!

Magrat
Jun 13th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Re-reading Harry Potter 7 for the movie and Wheel of Time, the whole series, to be ready for the last book next year. I am REALLY excited for the last Wheel of Time book!

I'm waiting for the last wot book to come out before i re-read the whole series for one last time.

Lady McHaggis
Jun 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I'm reading Joe Hill's (Stephen King's son) book Heart-Shaped Box.
It's brilliant.

shric debar
Jun 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I am currently re-reading the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell

Fishie
Jun 17th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I'm reading 'Storyteller, The Life of Roald Dahl'. I have to admit, I was disappointed that he made up loads of the stuff in Boy and Going Solo, the books he wrote about his life :(

Cabbage Patch
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Just started reading "Infection" by Craig DiLouie. It's a compelling read, following survivors of a zombie apocalypse as they try to survive in the ruins of Pittsburgh. I've reached a point with shades of "We're Alive"; the band of survivors have just started fortifying a hospital to serve as a secure base.

shric debar
Jun 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Before coming back to the lost fleet books I was reading a book called "the wise mans fear" by patrick torches

Very good book

Waldo Butters
Jun 19th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Before coming back to the lost fleet books I was reading a book called "the wise mans fear" by patrick torches

Very good book

Do you mean Patrick Rothfuss?

Tandem25
Jun 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I finished Hunger Games by Suzzanne Collins. I didn't know that it was written for 11-13 year olds when I bought it. It was evident after the first page that this is the case. But, it was interesting enough to finish. I would suggest it to anyone who likes post-apocalyptic/ dystopian fiction. I'm almost intrigued enough to buy the sequal Catching Fire. I just wish it was written more for adults than youths.
Either way it was a fun and quick read (about 7 or 8 sporadic hours I think)

Grognaurd
Jun 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Edenebook/dp/B00267SXKY/ref=tmm_kin_title_0ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1308524986&sr=1-1

Eden by Tony Monchinski.

Post zombie outbreak
Hero is infected right away
Did the zombies get in or were they let in?
Can our hero find out before he turns? (slower turn here, hours not seconds)

Independent author ala Bourne. So, if typos piss you off, do not go there. If you can let them pass or won't even notice it take a look. Amazon has a look inside to taste writers style.

In full disclosure, he is a Facebook friend (I have ~70) of mine

Adventureless_Hero
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Just finished rereading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's a great journey story about a young man setting off in search of his treasure in Egypt, but along the way he meets many interesting people, including a great beauty that has him question himself. I don't mean to spoil it in any way but obviously it is a self-discovery novel.

I'm currently reading Down The Road by Bowie Ibarra. My friend picked this book up for me and had it autographed by the author. It's a zombie horror story that has a man traveling from Austin, Texas to San Uvalde. It's an interesting read for me since I live in the area, but it's very Tarintino-esque in it's style.

Waldo Butters
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
I'm currently finishing First Lord's Fury in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. Its the last book in the series. The author has openly said that he finally found out a way to mix the lost roman legion trope and Pokemon. The people in this world have access to beings called furies. Furies are (sometimes) physical manifestations of the elements (air, water, fire, earth, wood, and metal). These Furies grant their human counterparts certain physical abilities (such as air furies allowing people to fly, or earth furies letting people be temporarily superhumanly strong). And its not just a few people who have these abilities: its everyone.

Well, everyone except one person. The hero of the story, Tavi, has no access to any kind of furies. He has to find a way to survive in a world filled people who have access to immense power, and also many other races that are not gifted with furies, but just as powerful.

In all its a really fantastic series and I've basically read all 6 books in the saga one after another with no breaks. Its high paced action, swashbuckling storytelling on a Tolkien size scale and riveting to the very end. Its one of my favorite series so if that sounds interesting to you, you should pick em up ASAP.

yarri
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I am reading complete and utter crap. I am in the middle of a juicy and utterly cotton candy historical romance... which I will NOT name due to shame... a lot of shame.

Waldo Butters
Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'm ashamed to admit I am reading complete and utterly crap. I am in the middle of a juicy and utterly cotton candy historical romance... which I will NOT name due to shame... a lot of shame.

Now you have to tell!

j0be
Jun 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
I'm just starting World War Z.

Osiris
Jun 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I'm just starting World War Z.

When you're finished that I recommend a similarly written novel called Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson. I'm reading it right now and it's not bad at all.

Hellbringer
Jun 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I was forced to read Obama's Wars for a professional reading assignment. However, someone forgot to invite my predecessor and me to the book discussion. We did end up talking about the book amongst ourselves during lull times at work.

I'm getting ready to bring Ghost Soldiers with me to work. I've had the book for years now, and recently found it buried in my closet. So, I'm going to make an effort to read it and talk about it at work with my guys.

7oddisdead
Jun 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I recently finished the dreaming void, and just started the temporal void..the first two books in the "void" series by Peter f Hamilton. The series is set largely in like, the 35th century, so its a bit of a struggle at first to wrap your brain around an entirely new world. Especially one as vast as the one created here, but he does quite the job of slowly adjusting you to the world and the new tech he presents. The interesting part of the story is, its basically two separate tales. Their is a universe that exists in "the void" that our universe is striving to reach. And while our universe is in the 35th century, the one in the void is still somewhat midevil in nature. Quite the story. Don't read unless you have the time to devote to it

Dino_Does_Zombies
Jun 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM
My marathon training is intended for the impending zombie apocalypse. That's why I am reading the book "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal. Talks about a tribe of runners in Mexico, the Tarahumara, who have the ability to run 100 miles in one day in minimalist shoes. Highly recommend it.

Any of you runners?

gaijinpunk
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Beta reading a friends zombie novel entitled "Outbreak". Lovin' it so far.:D

JusticePain
Sep 12th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I am reading World War ZGREAT BOOK!!!!!!

Hellbringer
Sep 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM
So, I finally picked up my Kindle (couldn't resist a good price when I saw it) and downloaded some books. I'm currently reading the Imperial perspective on the Revolutionary War. A lot more interesting than the average school book on the War for Independence. It's called "Those Damn Rebels: The American Revolution As Seen Through British Eyes".

aaronarturus
Sep 29th, 2011, 05:07 AM

Without a doubt one of the best horror novels of all time, and much better than any of the three movies. I picked up the book years ago because I read an interview with George Romero that I Am Legend was the book that inspired him to make Night of the Living Dead. I recently read House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds, which, like all of his books, was amazing if you like hard scifi. Reading the first book in the Samuil Petrovitch series right now and I am liking it so far.

reaper239
Sep 29th, 2011, 06:36 AM
i am reading "Kill Bin Laden". it is written by a delta force commando about the battle in the tora bora mountain range and the initial hunt for bin laden back in 2001-2002. i love reading modern military memiors. my two others are "Roughneck 91" which is about a green beret team which was one of the first teams into Iraq, written by the GB team sergeant, and the other is "House to House" written by an infantry fire team leader during the battle of fallujah. interestingly enough, the battle of fallujah is now used as a textbook for urban terrain combat operations. if you enjoy autobiographical works, or fast paced military writing, or both then you should check out any or all of these three books. favorite so far: "Roughneck 91"

reaper239
Sep 29th, 2011, 06:42 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Edenebook/dp/B00267SXKY/ref=tmm_kin_title_0ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1308524986&sr=1-1

Eden by Tony Monchinski.

Post zombie outbreak
Hero is infected right away
Did the zombies get in or were they let in?
Can our hero find out before he turns? (slower turn here, hours not seconds)

Independent author ala Bourne. So, if typos piss you off, do not go there. If you can let them pass or won't even notice it take a look. Amazon has a look inside to taste writers style.

In full disclosure, he is a Facebook friend (I have ~70) of mine

epic, i've been plugging that for a while. despite the typos, i love that book. i don't know why but i had a really hard time putting it down.

G-Money
Sep 29th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Star Wars: Darth Bane Trilogy. Simply the greatest Star Wars Novel series out there.

reaper239
Oct 5th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Star Wars: Darth Bane Trilogy. Simply the greatest Star Wars Novel series out there.

if you like your scifi with a military flare, check out the orphan series by robert beutner. it is hands down the greatest military scifi series ever penned: believable, fast paced, hard action, awesome. and if you like hard science in your fiction, check out the looking glass series by john ringo. man teamed up with a physicist to make sure his stuff was squared away, epic. the first in the series is into the looking glass, lots of hard science, really good aliens, really good military action, simply awesome. vorpal blade took the sci more into fi and was awesome in it's own right, but for different reasons.

7oddisdead
Oct 10th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I'm in the midst of reading the "pendergast" books by preston&child...basically a series of books with the central character being special agent Pendergast of the FBI. The books are of a crime fiction nature, with a paranormal theme that typically gets flipped in some way...its a good series, after reading enough of them they get a bit predictable....but the character development is enough to keep me coming back...seven down...three more to go..

usmcludwig
Oct 10th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I just started on a new one called "The Vision of Claim" talking about the Israeli "occupation" of their land. I love a book that a group of pissed off Muslims wrote

TundraScout
Dec 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I've made a to-readlist of quite a few recommendations seen herein. Looking forward to not getting enough sleep be coherent at work, thank you very much Myself, I've been reading most of the writings by a woman who goes by the blog name "Kathy in FL". She is prolific, and though the stories typically could use proofing, that's a small price to pay for the feeling of immediacy of the "journal" style she seems to prefer - almost stream-of-consciousness writing style. Typically centered around a strong woman character, she includes lots of "country wisdom" and crop production/food-related info. I always end up hungry for more writing as well as a snack. Hey - can't live on leftover cans forever in a PAW, right? Start here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35300

random_highjinx
Dec 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Am currently re-reading the George R. R. Marting Game of Thrones books. Cause I'm a sucker for details. :)

Eitri
Dec 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Re-reading "The Hunger Games" Trilogy for the 10th time...

kek
Dec 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Love the Hunger Games. I am about to start reading Autumn, by David Moody. It looked good and a friend recommended it to me. After the first line of the description I thought it sounded good- "A bastard hybrid of War of the Worlds and Night of the Living Dead"

Eviebae
Jan 28th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Love the Hunger Games. I am about to start reading Autumn, by David Moody. It looked good and a friend recommended it to me. After the first line of the description I thought it sounded good- "A bastard hybrid of War of the Worlds and Night of the Living Dead"

I liked the first book. I'm on the second in the series and it's definitely not as good. Still worth reading mind you, but I'm having to ignore more bad writing. I wonder if the second in the series wasn't written first.

reaper239
Jan 30th, 2012, 07:32 AM

anything that describes itself as a bastard hybrid of anything, usually isn't.

Eviebae
Feb 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
anything that describes itself as a bastard hybrid of anything, usually isn't.

Wisdom, that.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 15th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Found this cool Zombie book on Amazon. I've even picked up a few ideas from it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PYDSJC/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title#reader_B004PYDSJC

Hellbringer
Feb 15th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Found this cool Zombie book on Amazon. I've even picked up a few ideas from it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PYDSJC/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title#reader_B004PYDSJC

I'll have to check this out on my kindle. It says I can read it for free, so I'll have to figure out the mechanics behind that. I'm still drudging through my Revolutionary War book, but at least I'm at 61% (according to the the kindle) done.

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 16th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I'll have to check this out on my kindle. It says I can read it for free, so I'll have to figure out the mechanics behind that. I'm still drudging through my Revolutionary War book, but at least I'm at 61% (according to the the kindle) done.

HB,
Read the sampler first. It goes on a good while. Hell, I think they gave half the book away because so much happens in the sneak peek!
Damn good read though. I too saw that Prime members can read for free, but the fragg'n think doesn't say exactly how.. just go here, click this type crap.

ComicBookMax
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I just read Horns (http://www.amazon.ca/HORNS-Joe-Hill/dp/0061147958) by Joe Hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Hill_(writer))

Hellbringer
Feb 20th, 2012, 07:14 PM
HB,
Read the sampler first. It goes on a good while. Hell, I think they gave half the book away because so much happens in the sneak peek!
Damn good read though. I too saw that Prime members can read for free, but the fragg'n think doesn't say exactly how.. just go here, click this type crap.

Ok, found how it works, but I'll have to read it on my wife's kindle. My kindle isn't linked to her account. Of course, I still have others books in the queue...

HaveCrowBarWillTravel
Feb 21st, 2012, 07:06 AM
Ok, found how it works, but I'll have to read it on my wife's kindle. My kindle isn't linked to her account. Of course, I still have others books in the queue...

I gotta figure out how to separate my account from my wife and my mom's Fire... they can see all the porn.

Adventureless_Hero
Feb 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Just finished The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.
I don't remember what it was that turned me on to Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde, but that is my current story: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

It seems rather short.

Nathan.Luiz
Feb 21st, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm currently reading Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, great book tbh. First of a 4 book series which I hope to read, and if they're all as good as the first one seems it should be a great series.

reaper239
Mar 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
"on killing" and "on combat" by LT Col dave grossman. fascinating work. i'm going through on killing now and will be doing on combat next.

Hellbringer
Mar 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM
"on killing" and "on combat" by LT Col dave grossman. fascinating work. i'm going through on killing now and will be doing on combat next.

someone recommended those books to me as well. My book reserve reading list is starting to like my yet-to-play-but-own game list. Still plan on reading those books, for sure.

reaper239
Mar 6th, 2012, 04:40 AM
anyone in the military, or on the police force should read them for job training. everyone else should read it so that if it comes time to throw down in a big way you'll be prepared.

Hellbringer
Mar 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Just finished my "Those Damned Rebels" book. Such an abrupt ending, but still good.

Now on the queue is "Washington's Crossing," unless I dive into "Worm: The First Digital War" first. (first one is more exploration, second one is a more than 'highly suggested' professional reading from one of my bosses.)

I still want to read that book Crowbar recommended. I will probably grab it for a summer read.

Osiris
Mar 31st, 2012, 10:48 PM
Recently finished:

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. It was amazing. Never read a western and when I picked it up I had no idea what I was in for. Very fun adventure.
Noir by Robert Coover. A piece of detective fiction. Easily the best book I've read in the last year. Very well written, really entertaining protag and a great story. It roped me right in and I couldn't put it down. Definitely a book I'll go back and read again and again.

Currently reading:

After The Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn. So far it's pretty good, haven't gone balls deep in it yet but so far it's holding my attention.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. Fascinating first-hand account of an expedition to the top of Mt. Everest. I picked it up after reading Touching The Void by Joe Simpson which is also a really good read. I'm enjoying Into Thin Air a lot more though. It's a really brutal journey.

13 Things That Don't Make Sense by Michael Brooks. It covers everything from biology to cosmology, chemistry to psychology to physics... it wanders all over the place. Really interesting look at the world we think we know. Probably about half-way through and having trouble putting it down to finish one of the others. It's going to be a long week.

Cabbage Patch
Apr 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Craig Dilouie has a new book that came out yesterday. It's called "The Killing Floor" and is a follow up to "The Infection". It's supposed to take up where The Infection left off, with the US military absorbing reinforcements coming home from the Middle East and counter-attacking to re-take areas lost to the infection. I just downloaded the Kindle edition and expect to lose myself in it starting this evening.

Osiris
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
On the block right now:

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Packing For Mars by Mary Roach

Re-reading:

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

GeneTwo
Apr 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Night of the Living Trekkies. I got this because of the book trailer on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyO2k-jApng

Hilarious.

HarleyQuinn
Apr 16th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Just re-read John Dies at the End because the film comes out soon (which is now one of my favourite books as it has the right amount of humour, horror, gore and 'messed up-ness'), and now I am reading Battle Royale about a group of teenagers who are put on an island and have to kill eachother for a gameshow and if they don't then they die. It's actually very interesting.

Osiris
Apr 17th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Just re-read John Dies at the End because the film comes out soon (which is now one of my favourite books as it has the right amount of humour, horror, gore and 'messed up-ness'), and now I am reading Battle Royale about a group of teenagers who are put on an island and have to kill eachother for a gameshow and if they don't then they die. It's actually very interesting.

I'm super excited about the JDatE sequel! If I'm not mistaken is called "This Book Is Full of Spiders". I'm simultaneously excited and filled with trepidation about the film. I loved the book but I have no idea how they would do some things. I'm super excited to see the mural in Bob Marley's trailer though!

Shit Narnia! Testamints! Hearing Three Arm Sally FINALLY perform Camel Holocaust!!!

I knew a man! No, I made that part up! Hair! Hair! Haaairrr! Camel Holocaust! Camel Holocaust!

Hellbringer
Apr 17th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Is this the same Battle Royale which became a Japanese movie in 2000ish and that a lot of critics say The Hunger Games ripped off? And before anyone flames me on that, the jury's already adjourned on how many book/movies/plots you can have in a post apocalyptic world and feature some sort of winner/killer takes all.

yarri
Apr 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'm reading trash complete trash and I'm ashamed to admit it. I'm reading a novella by Colleen McCullough The Ladies of Missalonghi

HarleyQuinn
Apr 17th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I'm super excited about the JDatE sequel! If I'm not mistaken is called "This Book Is Full of Spiders". I'm simultaneously excited and filled with trepidation about the film. I loved the book but I have no idea how they would do some things. I'm super excited to see the mural in Bob Marley's trailer though!

Shit Narnia! Testamints! Hearing Three Arm Sally FINALLY perform Camel Holocaust!!!

I knew a man! No, I made that part up! Hair! Hair! Haaairrr! Camel Holocaust! Camel Holocaust!

I would so go and see Three Arm Sally, I wonder how bad they are going to be (probably about as bad as The Slugz). I am so excited for the film and the sequel but I think the UK get the film quite a bit later than when it actually comes out.

HarleyQuinn
Apr 17th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Is this the same Battle Royale which became a Japanese movie in 2000ish and that a lot of critics say The Hunger Games ripped off? And before anyone flames me on that, the jury's already adjourned on how many book/movies/plots you can have in a post apocalyptic world and feature some sort of winner/killer takes all.

Yeah that is it but I wasn't aware that critics were saying The Hunger Games ripped it off?

Osiris
Apr 18th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I would so go and see Three Arm Sally, I wonder how bad they are going to be (probably about as bad as The Slugz). I am so excited for the film and the sequel but I think the UK get the film quite a bit later than when it actually comes out.

I know it did a festival tour and was well received. It's just one of those "I've got an picture in my head" sort of things. I listened to the audiobook version of it recently and the guy who read it did an beautiful job giving John and Dave their own voices (his John was brilliant and exactly how I heard him in my head). I'm trying to keep an open mind about it, but I know that there is so much that isn't going to translate. Especially considering the length of the book against the length of the film. They did the Soy Sauce really cool though, using Ferrofluid and all that. Super awesome.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1054847/amazing_ferrofluid/

Osiris
Apr 24th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Finished Bossypants by Tina Fey early this afternoon.

Just started 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. So far it's pretty good.

Osiris
Apr 27th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Having finished Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S.G. Browne (which is a beautiful story and a great read, I highly recommend it to anyone who loves reading, crying, or books in general), I'm about to tuck into A Curtain Falls by Stefanie Pintoff.

The careers of New York City detective Simon Ziele and his former partner Captain Declan Mulvaney went in remarkably different directions after the tragic death of Ziele’s fiancée in the 1904 General Slocum ferry disaster. Although both men were earmarked for much bigger things, Ziele moved to Dobson, a small town north of the city, to escape the violence, and Mulvaney buried himself even deeper, agreeing to head up the precinct in the most crime-ridden area in the city.

Yet with all of the detectives and resources at Mulvaney’s disposal, a particularly puzzling crime compels him to look for someone he can trust absolutely. When a chorus girl is found dead on a Broadway stage dressed in the leading lady’s costume, there are no signs of violence, no cuts, no bruises—no marks at all. If pressed, the coroner would call it a suicide, but then that would make her the second girl to turn up dead in such a manner in the last few weeks. And the news of a possible serial killer would be potentially disastrous to the burgeoning theater world, not to mention the citizens of New York.

Following on the heels of Stefanie Pintoff’s acclaimed and award-winning debut, A Curtain Falls is a moody and evocative tale that follows Ziele and his partners as they scour the dark streets of early-twentieth-century New York in search of a true fiend.

I really enjoyed her first book In The Shadows of Gotham, Simon Ziele's first adventure--winner of the 2010 Edgar award for Best First Novel and the Washington Irving Book Prize. Her writing really captures Poe's essence which is what drew me in at first, then I simply became enthralled in the story. I'd recommend checking her out.

forgottenone
Apr 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
The next book I have on my list is 'The Game of Thrones' (ebook version), but I'm just not sure about it so I keep procrastinating. I'm listening to Cider, which, is just ok. If anyone is into audiobooks, I really recommend the Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer. The narrator really makes the story. Everyone in my family has enjoyed this series. Finally,the actual book I have to read is Home Improvement - Undead Edition, by various authors, Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, James Grady..... It sounds like a fun read. I'd like to read more non-fiction, so if anyone has some good reads, please let me know.

Osiris
May 1st, 2012, 12:14 AM
The next book I have on my list is 'The Game of Thrones' (ebook version), but I'm just not sure about it so I keep procrastinating. I'm listening to Cider, which, is just ok. If anyone is into audiobooks, I really recommend the Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer. The narrator really makes the story. Everyone in my family has enjoyed this series. Finally,the actual book I have to read is Home Improvement - Undead Edition, by various authors, Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, James Grady..... It sounds like a fun read. I'd like to read more non-fiction, so if anyone has some good reads, please let me know.

Non-Fiction?

Bossypants by Tina Fey is a funny read.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand is an account of Louis Zamperini's AMAZING life. Highly recommend it.

Into Thin Air by John Krakauer is a great book about his ascent of Mt. Everest and all the people who didn't make it.

Touching the Void by Joe Simpson is a really amazing story about two mountain climbers that you have to read to believe, but it's also fascinating and gripping to the end, highly recommend that one as well.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach was a really great read.

The Devil In White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America by Erik Larson is supposed to be fascinating, it's on my shelf waiting to be read when I get through the current stack.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova is also supposed to be really great, also on my shelf.

Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie looks good as well, I'll be picking that up tomorrow I think.

Tough Shit: Life Advice From a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good by Kevin Smith was a really funny read. I enjoyed it a lot.

If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell was also really good. So is, Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way by Bruce Campbell, though it's more... um... we... it's just really damned entertaining.

13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time by Michael Brooks is a pretty fascinating read. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Nothing in This Book is True, But It's Exactly How Things Are by Bob Frissell is also quite interesting. Hard to find though.

Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roach was pretty damn good as well.

Between A Rock and A Hard Place by Aron Ralston looks amazing as well. Picking that up tomorrow.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson is supposed to be really good too. Also on the list of books I'm picking up tomorrow.

The Value of Nothing by Raj Patel looks really good too, also on the list of books for tomorrow (rather, later this afternoon at this point)

Hopefully you find something in that list that you enjoy!

Almost forgot!

Right now I'm reading The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeanette Walls and it's really good. A bit sad, but good.

forgottenone
May 4th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Hi Osiris.. Well that was quite a mouthful! Thanks so much.. I am copying all these suggestions down and will investigate them. I have a couple of these on hand. My stack is so large sometimes you just don't know where to start. And those darn ereaders that let you load hundreds of books on them, well, I do (load hundreds of them) and then can't choose where to start :). Not sure I can read Touching the Void. I think I know what it is about, and, um, yea, don't think I can. Again, Thanks!

forgottenone
May 4th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Curious. Anyone use www.paperbackswap.com? I like being able to swap book for book. You might check it out.

Osiris
May 4th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Hi Osiris.. Well that was quite a mouthful! Thanks so much.. I am copying all these suggestions down and will investigate them. I have a couple of these on hand. My stack is so large sometimes you just don't know where to start. And those darn ereaders that let you load hundreds of books on them, well, I do (load hundreds of them) and then can't choose where to start :). Not sure I can read Touching the Void. I think I know what it is about, and, um, yea, don't think I can. Again, Thanks!

I would have though that Between a Rock and a Hard Place would be the more difficult one to read. Touching the Void... it's not what you think. That is IF you're thinking about a particular moment with a Swiss Army Knife... that's not Touching the Void. Either way, glad I could be of help. :)

Nitara
May 5th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I'm currently reading Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. If anyone here is on goodreads.com, you are more than welcome to add me. My user name is Nitara.

Osiris
May 5th, 2012, 07:45 AM
There are two members named Nitara listed, one in New York and one in Indonesia... none in Florida.

Osiris
May 5th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Currently reading: A Curtain Falls by Stefanie Pintoff

Love.
This.
Woman.

She writes the way I like to read.

7oddisdead
May 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Currently "reading" elantris by Brandon Sanderson..if I remember correctly it is his first novel, and while it shows to a certain extent, the premise and plot is really...really..interesting..im only seven chapters in and so far it's a brilliant piece of dark fantasy

yarri
May 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Pied piper by Nevil shute

Nitara
May 5th, 2012, 07:36 PM
There are two members named Nitara listed, one in New York and one in Indonesia... none in Florida.

Okay, here's the link http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4721718-allyson

I signed up to goodreads via my twitter profile. I think that might be why I wasn't showing up.

Osiris
May 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM
This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of Human Obsession by Dr. Daniel J. Levitin (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/141565.This_Is_Your_Brain_on_Music)

I know nothing about the author or the work itself, it was an impulse buy as I was preparing to leave the bookstore today. Had an interesting title and cover. Sold me enough to shell out another $20.

I picked up a copy of Slip of the Knife by Denise Mina (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/619980.Slip_Of_The_Knife) without knowing it was #3 in a series. Now I feel like an asshole and have to go BACK to find the first two before I can read it.

Also reading:

Legion by William Peter Blatty (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/219362.Legion)
Watchmen And Philosophy: A Rorschach Test by Mark D. White (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4702077-watchmen-and-philosophy)

I'm saving Secret of the White Rose (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9683576-secret-of-the-white-rose (http://I'm saving Secret of the White Rose (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9683576-secret-of-the-white-rose)) for after surgery.

Osiris
May 18th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Started The Reapers Are The Angels by Alden Bell tonight. I'm only four chapters in so far, but it's really good.

Cabbage Patch
May 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Just started an interesting new book called "Dead Country" by Bonnie Dee. The concept is different. The zombie apocalypse has come, but it's been contained. The story focuses on a small community in Kansas that survived, but is very isolated. The government has survived, the military has turned the tide, there is a vaccine to prevent people from becoming zombies. But the country is wrecked, there are still zombies out there, supplies are running low, winter is coming and help is a long way away. It reminds me of Jericho, but with zombies instead of nuclear war.

yarri
May 20th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Foxfire book 2 It's a collection of stories, pictures, and "How to " diagrams of old time ways to live.

Osiris
May 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Found a copy of Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes in a used bookstore this afternoon and just about lost my shit. It was only $2.50!!! I wanted to jump across the counter and kiss the girl behind the counter... should have... she was super cute. Guess I know where I'll be going tomorrow!

bradwnel
May 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I am currently reading John Greens the Fault in Our Stars, as well as Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter house five. Now I have read slaughter house five before a few times and I strongly recommend it if you haven't yet read it. As for the fault in our stars I've only read a few chapters thus far. But what I have read I like it. I would also recommend the author John Green I love all of his books; Looking for Alaska, an Abundance of Katherine, and Paper Towns.

Osiris
May 25th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I am currently reading John Greens the Fault in Our Stars, as well as Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter house five. Now I have read slaughter house five before a few times and I strongly recommend it if you haven't yet read it. As for the fault in our stars I've only read a few chapters thus far. But what I have read I like it. I would also recommend the author John Green I love all of his books; Looking for Alaska, an Abundance of Katherine, and Paper Towns.

I've got a copy of Paper Towns and Looking for Alaska sittin on the shelf waiting for me to finish everything else on my current 'To Read' list.

Welcome, by the way! Be sure to drop in the Introduce Yourself (http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/showthread.php?14-Introduce-Yourself%21) thread and say hi!

DogFromDuckhunt
May 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Just roughed it through Starship Troopers. Starting The Deceiver now along with Perfect Dark on the kindle.

Hellbringer
May 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Just roughed it through Starship Troopers. Starting The Deceiver now along with Perfect Dark on the kindle.

Wait, is that a pun for Starship Troopers? I thoroughly enjoyed that book. In fact, that book was on several professional reading lists from what I remember. The movie, however, I despise, even with Denise Richards being in it.

DogFromDuckhunt
May 27th, 2012, 07:31 PM
The first person POV put me off a bit. Enjoyed it, but not what I'm used to. Couldn't help wanting a larger scope. Did love the parts with Johnnie and his teachers though. Talking politics, etc. Saw the movie and tv show first so I wasn't expecting the book to be what it was. Enjoyed them both though. Heard they were remaking the movie awhile ago, but it always felt like something that needs a tv show to me. Especially after reading the book. Seems like they'd have a lot to work with if they're gonna introduce the skinnies and flesh out the bugs/world in general.

Osiris
Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Right now, I'm reading the fuck out of The Passage by Justin Cronin and it's completely enthralling. One of the best books I've read in a long, long time.

Eviebae
Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Right now, I'm reading the fuck out of The Passage by Justin Cronin and it's completely enthralling. One of the best books I've read in a long, long time.

Hey Osiris, sorry I let the group go fallow but I did a fair bit of damage to my left index finger and typing was painful (I still tried though).

I read The Passage and really liked it. I thought it needed another edit to tighten it up but it beat the pants off of The Stain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan which was eerily similar in some ways.

I just read Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan and have just started Fallen Angels by the same. It's a series about a guy named Takeshi Kovacs which is a hoot of a name. Again, it needs editing--he suffers from that too many words about too much information syndrome that sci fi is prone to. It's sort of a gum shoe-type cyberpunk noir. He seems to start out a tiny bit stilted, but once he heats up it gets really good. I really like his way with dialog and his subjective descriptions of physical responses.

forgottenone
Jul 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I think it was Osiris that recommended this to me.. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. WOW.. this is a great book. I'm looking to get a hard copy so both my kids can read it. Non-fiction books can be hard reads, but this one reads like story. I recommend this book as well.

VEE
Jul 9th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Recently finished this:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ_Al9diK37lSY_VX2olpalWVCpPeOl asru9K44RznVFXnxopEQurX8daw4w

and now reading this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg/200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg

Both on kindle for the first time, which has been a bit of a revelation to be honest as I can pick it up anywhere, from the actual kindle, to the ipad, phone, wherever I happen to be. Where previously I didn't read as much as I used to I now seem to be reading a lot more because of it.

reaper239
Jul 9th, 2012, 04:04 AM
dead space: martyr. altman be praised.

zombietime
Jul 10th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Seeing a zombie cover of books is interesting for me, I have been searching and looking around for it..Hope to get one and start to read it..Its exciting !! :)

DogFromDuckhunt
Jul 12th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Wrapped up the Thrawn trilogy. Great books, definitely the best of the star wars EU, but man I hate characters like Talon Karrde.

About to start on A Dance With Dragons.

7oddisdead
Jul 14th, 2012, 02:30 AM
currently "reading" 14 by peter clines.
http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B0089Y7K0M&qid=1342257827&sr=1-1
O.M.G.
im a huge fan of mysterious buildings, puzzles, sci fi type stuff...etc. this book is possibly the coolest thing ive read in years. im only halfway through at the moment and i say this.

forgottenone
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:10 PM
currently "reading" 14 by peter clines.
http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B0089Y7K0M&qid=1342257827&sr=1-1
O.M.G.
im a huge fan of mysterious buildings, puzzles, sci fi type stuff...etc. this book is possibly the coolest thing ive read in years. im only halfway through at the moment and i say this.

Hey, thanks. I added this to my to be read list. Sounds good.

Ray
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:19 PM
If you like video games, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is a pretty good one afternoon type book. I enjoyed it simply for the old game references throughout the book, bit of nostalgia in there.

Ray
Jul 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Also, if you guys have any interest in NASA, Space, or anything to do with flight there is a section on NASA's website with really good free ebooks:

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/history_ebooks_archive_1.html

http://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/aeronautics_ebooks_archive_1.html

ICEMAN TRAVIS
Jul 15th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Currently reading 4 four books I'm reading
1. Ivan's war, good book for those interested on the war between Russia and Germany.
2. Halo the cole protocol. Good read for any halo fan.
3. Enders game. Just got done with it and it is an amazing sci-fi book
And then there a j novel I am reading which is pretty good.
Sorry nothing zombie related though.

ICEMAN TRAVIS
Jul 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Halo Crytum

How is that book, heard some great things about it but have yet to read it.

Loyal Retainer
Jul 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I got about halfway through Cyptum before I could no longer stand it. I don't know what exactly it was but I found it extremely boring. I know the next in the series is about to come out or maybe just came out which makes me want to man up and finish Cryptum but I don't know if I can do it.

Hellbringer
Jul 17th, 2012, 06:18 AM
3. Enders game. Just got done with it and it is an amazing sci-fi book

I was in a course and the last 100 pages of Ender's game was required reading. I was a little pissed about it, because while the endstory was great, the instructor had us skip the beginning and part of the middle. So I'm not sure if I can go back and read the whole thing now. However, based off of what I did read, I do highly recommend it to others.

Solanine
Jul 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Currently "A fire upon the deep" not so sure about this one, I liked the opening of "Forever war" much better. The last book I read comes with much higher reccomendations. i'm sure most of you have read it but "The Postman" is well worth a read. The idea of "survivalists" causing so much trouble is interesting as I'm sure there are quite a few among us.

Vlarken
Jul 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I'm reading a German translation of Salem's Lot (translated to Brennen Muss Salem, which is 'Salem Must Burn') to improve my mediocre German. It's a lot of fun.

Solanine
Jul 19th, 2012, 07:08 AM
I'm reading a German translation of Salem's Lot (translated to Brennen Muss Salem, which is 'Salem Must Burn') to improve my mediocre German. It's a lot of fun.
Thats a steven king title I've not picked up, worth looking at?

VEE
Jul 19th, 2012, 07:27 AM
This thread

Solanine
Jul 19th, 2012, 07:46 AM
This thread

Very whitty. I could also answer with "A town".

VEE
Jul 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Very whitty. I could also answer with "A town".

http://i.imgur.com/muLX7.gif

Solanine
Jul 20th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I will pretend to get it. ha. ha ha.

Vlarken
Jul 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Thats a steven king title I've not picked up, worth looking at?

Definitely. It's one of his best. I believe it's held as one of his 'classics'.

thisonegirl
Jul 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, totally, wholly reccomend it.

Solanine
Jul 23rd, 2012, 02:51 AM
I recently picked up Oliver twist because its free on kindle and I'm partial to a bit of Dickens every so often. It is a pretty good read and most definitely better than the movie.

reaper239
Jul 23rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
I recently picked up Oliver twist because its free on kindle and I'm partial to a bit of Dickens every so often. It is a pretty good read and most definitely better than the movie.

i appreciate dickens contribution to literature, i cannot read his work. it's like rubbing sandpaper on my eyeballs and the splashing some nice soothing hot sauce in there. i just want to bite the book. literally, i want to bite the thing. i made it through great expectations in school and thought i was never going to read another book again. it wasn't until i found zombie literature that i realized that reading didn't have to be less preferable to cutting off your arm at the elbow by shaving off slices starting at the finger tips.

lanezjones
Jul 26th, 2012, 04:14 AM
The prisoner of birth....Jeffrey Archer!!

forgottenone
Aug 18th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Right now for my kids book club they are reading Graceling by Kristin Cashore. It's really a pretty good, ya, fiction book. The main character reminds me of the Kill Bill main character. Thumbs up.. worth a read. I'm going to read book two, Fire.. we'll see how that goes.

7oddisdead
Aug 18th, 2012, 09:53 PM
i appreciate dickens contribution to literature, i cannot read his work. it's like rubbing sandpaper on my eyeballs and the splashing some nice soothing hot sauce in there. i just want to bite the book. literally, i want to bite the thing. i made it through great expectations in school and thought i was never going to read another book again. it wasn't until i found zombie literature that i realized that reading didn't have to be less preferable to cutting off your arm at the elbow by shaving off slices starting at the finger tips.

We've been over this...dickens IS zombie literature...read...become a zombie....

*BRRRRAAAAAIIINNNNNS, old chap?*

yarri
Aug 19th, 2012, 01:29 AM

So are you saying that you don't like Dickens? :D

Solanine
Aug 19th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I agree there are some of his books I just can't read. I got a couple of pages into a tale of two cities and gave up. But a Christmas carol and Oliver Twist aren't to bad.

USdolphinranger
Oct 11th, 2012, 01:49 PM
so im just adding to all this idk if any one else threw up this series but rangers apprentice really great about 13 books in the series...Its a really easy read something to enjoy my little sis picked it up and never read it so i took it and loved it . its done in diffrent types of stories and done well...its more midevil kinda fantasy stuff if ur into that stuff try it out....i just finished that series now im on catching fire...and that is also awsome ..

stat
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Currently reading Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization by Richard Miles. Although it's scholarly, it's a fairly accessible history of Carthage, which was one of Rome's better known enemies. Worth a read if you like ancient history and even if you don't, it's edifying.

Osiris
Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Just finished:

Opium Fiend: 21st Century Slave to a 19th Century Addiction by Steven Martin *****/***** awesome book.

Right now I'm reading:

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The 100 Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
Diary of a Submissive by Sophie Morgan

Solanine
Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Currently its "Childhoods end". Not really sold on it too be honest. Interesting take on the sci-fi invasion genre though.

7oddisdead
Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Currently its "Childhoods end". Not really sold on it too be honest. Interesting take on the sci-fi invasion genre though.

Really good book, even if somewhat dated...hopefully you finish it, its worth it

Solanine
Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:18 PM
I like dated. This one's interesting but at the end of the day its taken me a week to read it. A book I love will take 2 days tops.
Next up "Dune".

werewolf
Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
actual i am listen to audiobooks myself; the audiobook i am listen to now is called fuzzy nation by john scalzi. its a reboot from the original called little fuzzy. otherwise i try to learn new stuff in my field, like zbrush.

werewolf
Nov 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM
just got done listen to the walking dead the road to woodbury it was great. it takes place just after rise of the governor check it out.

reaper239
Nov 12th, 2012, 09:07 PM
jah, de rise of da governator

http://img2-1.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/110330/Governator-Poster_444.jpg

scbubba
Nov 13th, 2012, 03:41 AM
I like dated. This one's interesting but at the end of the day its taken me a week to read it. A book I love will take 2 days tops.
Next up "Dune".

I'm with you on "dated." I'm currently finishing up "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge and following it with "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. A couple of classic hard Sci Fi greats....

"Childhood's End" is one of those Clarke works that I just never got around to reading. I may have to grab a copy.

Solanine
Nov 13th, 2012, 11:54 PM
I'm with you on "dated." I'm currently finishing up "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge and following it with "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. A couple of classic hard Sci Fi greats....

"Childhood's End" is one of those Clarke works that I just never got around to reading. I may have to grab a copy.
I tried "A fire upon the deep" and just couldn't get into it. "The Forever War"
is brilliant though.

scbubba
Nov 14th, 2012, 03:44 AM
I tried "A fire upon the deep" and just couldn't get into it. "The Forever War"
is brilliant though.

I will say that this is my second time in Fire Upon the Deep. It can get, um, dense at times. Vinge doesn't explain via backstory. He uses revelation to get you into the story. It sometimes works and sometimes frustrates, I've found.

Totally agree with you on The Forever War.... :-)

Vlarken
Nov 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
Currently re-reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm on The Two Towers.

scbubba
Nov 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
Currently re-reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm on The Two Towers.

Yeah. Excellent choice. Especially with the Hobbit movie about the premier...

Vlarken
Nov 21st, 2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah. Excellent choice. Especially with the Hobbit movie about the premier...

True! I'm excited for it. I have ideas about why they split it into three movies, which are quite hopeful. I think it'll be two movies covering what actually happens in the book (which is justified. There's enough material there to warrant two movies), and the third movie will cover Gandalf and the White Council expunging The Necromancer (Sauron) from Mirkwood. I'll be interested to see how that turns out, because it was never covered in any of the books in depth, so it seems like Peter Jackson will have to make it up based on thin guidelines.

HardKor
Nov 21st, 2012, 10:42 PM
I just finished a nice little marathon of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series followed by "The Hunger Games" trilogy.

Osiris
Nov 21st, 2012, 10:44 PM
I just finished a nice little marathon of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series followed by "The Hunger Games" trilogy.

I tried to get into "The Girl" books... could... not... do it.

HardKor
Nov 21st, 2012, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I can understand that not everyone is going to love them. Larsson had a tendency to get bogged down in mundane details. I seriously doubt that we needed an exhaustive list of every single thing Lisbeth bought at IKEA to furnish her apartment. But I still loved the stories and once Larsson got down to the important parts I actually did like his writing style.

Osiris
Nov 21st, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hey man... if we all liked the same books then the shelves in bookstores would be pretty damn boring.

scbubba
Nov 22nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I can understand that not everyone is going to love them. Larsson had a tendency to get bogged down in mundane details. I seriously doubt that we needed an exhaustive list of every single thing Lisbeth bought at IKEA to furnish her apartment. But I still loved the stories and once Larsson got down to the important parts I actually did like his writing style.

I read the 3 hunger games books. As long as I kept in mind that I wasn't the target audience, the 1st two books were pretty entertaining. The third one was kinda hard to get through, but I finished it. It wasn't as good as the earlier ones but not too bad.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Nov 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
I am actually reading Land of Lisp at the moment, for two reasons. I am keen on learing functional programming. And then, there is just this f******* awesome cover:

http://nostarch.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/lisp.png

scbubba
Nov 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I am actually reading Land of Lisp at the moment, for two reasons. I am keen on learing functional programming. And then, there is just this f******* awesome cover:

http://nostarch.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/lisp.png

Aaaaaaggghhhhh!!!! Lisp!
The subtitle of this book could be "How to go blind counting parentheses..."

But it is a good way to learn functional programming....

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Nov 22nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
Aaaaaaggghhhhh!!!! Lisp!
The subtitle of this book could be "How to go blind counting parentheses..."

But it is a good way to learn functional programming....

I have been waiting a long time for this joke to make, so here it is: Lisp's parentheses prevent me from becoming a Scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language))r like Scratch. Thank you so much, scbubba! :)

Solanine
Nov 23rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Hmmm, Dune is my current book. And I got forty pages in. Two weeks ago. I just can't seem to find the time to read right now.
I know I'll enjoy Dune when I get to it but for now it can go back and grace the shelves of the local library.

scbubba
Nov 23rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have been waiting a long time for this joke to make, so here it is: Lisp's parentheses prevent me from becoming a Scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_(programming_language))r like Scratch. Thank you so much, scbubba! :)

<rimshot> thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Remember to tip you waitress and bartender. Good night!

scbubba
Nov 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Hmmm, Dune is my current book. And I got forty pages in. Two weeks ago. I just can't seem to find the time to read right now.
I know I'll enjoy Dune when I get to it but for now it can go back and grace the shelves of the local library.

I've tried a few times with Dune. Once I got most of the way through it but never all the way. Just doesn't ever click for me.

werewolf
Nov 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM
the book i had to stop listening to a case of conscience by James Blish. I have listen to it before, and I didn't like it one bit. however, I thought I would give it another chance just in case i might have misunderstood it the first time. Nope i didn't. this piece of trash was written in the 50s and i guess back then genocide of a whole race cause, they didn't believe in a god or thought that they where the made of the devil was ok. this is one audiobook is going to be deleted from my library

Solanine
Nov 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I've tried a few times with Dune. Once I got most of the way through it but never all the way. Just doesn't ever click for me.
Yeah I've officially given up now. Going to give my next book, 1984 a good go though. I have an ear infection so no headphone-related entertainment for
the foreseeable future.

UndeadSweeper
Nov 25th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Star Wars: Thrawn Trilogy, I don't know what the next book I should follow after this?

Leedo2502
Dec 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Star Wars: Thrawn Trilogy, I don't know what the next book I should follow after this?

If you want to stay with Star Wars I'd go with the Darth Bane series (I say series instead of trilogy because I desperatly want that storyline to continue.) There is a bit of hookyness in the first book (minor) but the author goes above and beyond making up for it in the next two books.

Solanine
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
So I just finished 1984. Throughly enjoyed it, although the ending was depressing.

scbubba
Dec 3rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
So I just finished 1984. Throughly enjoyed it, although the ending was depressing.

I thought it was a good book as well. The ending.....well, it ends the way it ends, I guess.

I'm staying with old school sci-fi and am about to start "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. It's be of those I can re-read and still thoroughly enjoy it. Like re-listening to WA seasons....

Spazz
Dec 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Am reading this book called IQ it is pretty awesome, these kids parents are like famous singers and go on tour and the kids get involved in some top secret FBI spy stuff it's really interesting so far.

Solanine
Dec 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hmmm. Kid spies, original. Sounds cool though.

Spazz
Dec 4th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Hmmm. Kid spies, original. Sounds cool though.

well they aren't really spies but there are people after them since their parents are famous and like the girl's mom was a FBI agent or some shit its hard to explain but a great book so far

Solanine
Dec 4th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Thats cool. Just ut of interest anybody know when pre-orders beciome available for Day By Day Armageddon: Shattered Hour Glass?

7oddisdead
Dec 5th, 2012, 12:37 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Day-Armageddon-Shattered-Hourglass/dp/1451628811

pre-order now, brother...thanks for the reminder!

scbubba
Dec 5th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Thats cool. Just ut of interest anybody know when pre-orders beciome available for Day By Day Armageddon: Shattered Hour Glass?

Never heard of it. Good stuff I'm guessing?

7oddisdead
Dec 5th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Never heard of it. Good stuff I'm guessing?

oh wow...really? Go find that shit, sir! J.l. Bourne is to zombiebooks what KC is to audiodramas...

scbubba
Dec 5th, 2012, 06:29 AM
oh wow...really? Go find that shit, sir! J.l. Bourne is to zombiebooks what KC is to audiodramas...

Wow! With a recommendation like that I better get moving.... Thanks 7odd!

Duffusmonkey
Dec 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Since Brandon Sanderson finished the last Wheel of Time book for Robert Jordan, and it will be released in a Month or two I am re-reading the first dozen books.

I am averaging 1 a week and I am halfway through book 4 The Shadow Rising

FelixTheLastJumper
Dec 5th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I just finished reading feedback by Robinson wells. It's the second in the series and is pretty dang good if I do say so myself.

Solanine
Jan 8th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Currently reading game of thrones. Just finished Dance of Dragons book 1 but I realised that I missed A Feast For Crows so I'd better go back.
Thankfully I'm lead to believe they're pretty much concurrent.

scbubba
Jan 8th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Currently reading game of thrones. Just finished Dance of Dragons book 1 but I realised that I missed A Feast For Crows so I'd better go back.
Thankfully I'm lead to believe they're pretty much concurrent.

Indeed they are mostly concurrent. The later part of DoD converges the storylines in the two books. Probably not too bad to gt those to out of orde though. Love this series and have read through the 5 books a few times now. Will probably start again after the third season of the HBO series airs in the spring

reaper239
Jan 8th, 2013, 03:34 PM
just picked up two new books:

Bioshock: Rapture by john shirley. you know the history of rapture from audio logs found around the under water dystopia of rapture, but shirley puts the past into full focus delivering believable narration and history on characters you know and love/hate like andrew ryan, and properly introducing the members of ryans crew like sullivan and mcdonagh.

Dead Space: Catalyst by B K Evenson. i haven't had the opportunity yet to actually read into this one, but after evensons masterful job building the history of unitology and altman, i can't wait to dig into this new terrifying novel. i have no idea what time period this covers, but since every other piece of dead space media is canon, i would imagine that this one is too.

books based on video games have come a long way from the days of trashy dime novel re-envisioning's to full fledged literature that expands the fiction of the universe. i love the materials i'm seeing emerge from the gameing community, really thrilling, and i can't wait to see more.

pinkstarmary
Jan 9th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I just finished reading The Host and the Matched trilogy. Both were really good. Now I'm going to get Warm Bodies and read it before I see the movie.

Solanine
Jan 9th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Indeed they are mostly concurrent. The later part of DoD converges the storylines in the two books. Probably not too bad to gt those to out of orde though. Love this series and have read through the 5 books a few times now. Will probably start again after the third season of the HBO series airs in the spring

Yeah, not to upset.
I can't really say anything because I can't work out the spoiler tag but the sudden power shift caused by that thing at the end of book three sure is making things interesting.
Also its nice to see some new contenders come out of the wood work.

scbubba
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah, not to upset.
I can't really say anything because I can't work out the spoiler tag but the sudden power shift caused by that thing at the end of book three sure is making things interesting.
Also its nice to see some new contenders come out of the wood work.

Most definitely. Martin's ability to unflinchingly kill off a main character in this series is an allure to many (myself included). He really pours fuel to the fire in Book 3 and turns the readers on their heads for a while. Some people get turned off by it but I feel like it keeps me on the edge of my seat while reading it....

Osiris
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ifDCm.jpg

Solanine
Jan 10th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Most definitely. Martin's ability to unflinchingly kill off a main character in this series is an allure to many (myself included). He really pours fuel to the fire in Book 3 and turns the readers on their heads for a while. Some people get turned off by it but I feel like it keeps me on the edge of my seat while reading it....

WARNING (KINDA) SPOILER FOR BOOK ONE- Book 4 OF "A song of ice and fire"
If your still reading and haven't read the first book of "A song of Fire and Ice" I take no responsibility for spoiling your future enjoyment of it.
Its been out almost two decades.

Eddards death kind of threw me in the first book. I didn't realise how much I liked the character until he died.
What saves the books from being annoying is that everything happens for a good reason.
Ned died as part of the character development for Joffrey. Tywin died because he was the glue that kept Tommens backers together.
Without him the other three people claiming a right to the throne have a chance at it.
My question is whether Stannis might actually bend his knee to Deanerys and or Aegon because they have the best claim to the throne.

YetAnotherBloodyCheek
Jan 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM
http://www.fischerverlage.de/media/fs/15/u1_978-3-10-036801-0.24204719.jpg

1913 - a book about, well, 1913, "Summer of the century."

scbubba
Jan 10th, 2013, 09:21 AM
WARNING (KINDA) SPOILER FOR BOOK ONE- Book 4 OF "A song of ice and fire"
If your still reading and haven't read the first book of "A song of Fire and Ice" I take no responsibility for spoiling your future enjoyment of it.
Its been out almost two decades.

Eddards death kind of threw me in the first book. I didn't realise how much I liked the character until he died.
What saves the books from being annoying is that everything happens for a good reason.
Ned died as part of the character development for Joffrey. Tywin died because he was the glue that kept Tommens backers together.
Without him the other three people claiming a right to the throne have a chance at it.
My question is whether Stannis might actually bend his knee to Deanerys and or Aegon because they have the best claim to the throne.

The thing about Stannis bending the knee to a Targaryen is that wanted them dead just as much as his brother Robert did. Stannis makes a lot of noise about the "right of succession", etc but he had no problem throwing it away when it served him better to ignore it.

All that being said, I stopped being (too) surprised by what Martin does with the characters because, as you said, he is always moving the story forward for good reason with them....

Solanine
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM
The thing about Stannis bending the knee to a Targaryen is that wanted them dead just as much as his brother Robert did. Stannis makes a lot of noise about the "right of succession", etc but he had no problem throwing it away when it served him better to ignore it.

All that being said, I stopped being (too) surprised by what Martin does with the characters because, as you said, he is always moving the story forward for good reason with them....

We don't know that unless its revealed in a book I haven't read. I'd really hate to see Stannis and the North go to war with Deanary's/ Aegon etc.

Osiris
Jan 11th, 2013, 08:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5bZHd.jpg

&

http://i.imgur.com/UYXXB.jpg

LiamKerrington
Jan 12th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Hello.

Currently I read these books:

Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle #1) by Neal Stephenson

Interstellar Travel & Multi-Generational Space Ships by by Yoji Kondo (Editor)

Stories Volume 1 by Ray Bradbury

The Complete Robot (Robot #1) by Isaac Asimov

Solanine
Jan 12th, 2013, 07:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5bZHd.jpg

&

http://i.imgur.com/UYXXB.jpg

Dracula is in my top 20 books of all time.
Really brilliant piece that still holds up today.
Frankenstein, on a related note, is also very good.

I have now started reading "The Dark Tower: Gunslinger".
Very good so far, might even displace "The Stand" as my favourite Steven King book.
I bought the first three books at once so it seems like the series won't last very long :(

Osiris
Jan 12th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Dracula is in my top 20 books of all time.
Really brilliant piece that still holds up today.
Frankenstein, on a related note, is also very good.

I have now started reading "The Dark Tower: Gunslinger".
Very good so far, might even displace "The Stand" as my favourite Steven King book.
I bought the first three books at once so it seems like the series won't last very long :(

Yeah. I've always loved that book. I found a new copy at Chapters yesterday and couldn't resist picking it up.

RVAUndead
Jan 13th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Has anyone read any of the serialized fiction by David Wright and Sean Platt? My favorite is Yesterday's Gone- its available in 3 seasons now so you don't have to wait for episodes (sound familiar? :) I'm reading Available Darkness now... White Space is also very good. A warning about YG- the first season is amazing but the second starts getting very complicated- on the level of Lost... Then it gets better if you can hang in for season 3,

I just finished the third DJ Molles "Remaining" book- which is pretty darn good Z fiction- what a cliffhanger. Now I'm agonizing over what to read next...

scbubba
Jan 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Hello.

Currently I read these books:

Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle #1) by Neal Stephenson

Heard lots of good things about Stephenson but haven't read any of his stuff yet. May need to correct that soon...

Interstellar Travel & Multi-Generational Space Ships by by Yoji Kondo (Editor)

Sounds interesting as I just recently finished The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Both have this concept of long term/time space travel involved. Both are also excellent books that are great reads no matter how many times you read them.

Stories Volume 1 by Ray Bradbury

Classic.

The Complete Robot (Robot #1) by Isaac Asimov

Ultra-classic!

Osiris
Jan 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Has anyone read any of the serialized fiction by David Wright and Sean Platt? My favorite is Yesterday's Gone- its available in 3 seasons now so you don't have to wait for episodes (sound familiar? :) I'm reading Available Darkness now... White Space is also very good. A warning about YG- the first season is amazing but the second starts getting very complicated- on the level of Lost... Then it gets better if you can hang in for season 3,

I just finished the third DJ Molles "Remaining" book- which is pretty darn good Z fiction- what a cliffhanger. Now I'm agonizing over what to read next...

This thread has a ton of good reads, if you're really stuck for something, start from the beginning.

Sammy D
Jan 13th, 2013, 11:27 AM
i am currently reading the autobiography of Teddy Roosevelt, for free on the itunes bookstore. Great read really motivates you to do more! One of the manliest dudes ever!

werewolf
Jan 13th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Day by Day Armageddon Series - J L Bourne audiobooks

Osiris
Jan 13th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Day by Day Armageddon Series - J L Bourne audiobooks

I'd have thought the third one would be out by now. Sort of disappointed that I haven't seen it on the shelves.

werewolf
Jan 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I'd have thought the third one would be out by now. Sort of disappointed that I haven't seen it on the shelves.
try amazon

Solanine
Jan 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Its sold out on amazon UK :(

Witch_Doctor
Jan 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM

The Audio version is available at Audible.com

Osiris
Jan 31st, 2013, 10:35 AM
The Audio version is available at Audible.com

Yeah, I started listening to it the other day, but it isn't well written, and I've put it down a couple hours in. It's too bad. I had been looking forward to it.

REZombie
Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:20 AM
At the moment have a couple books i'm reading. One is 'Green Girls' by Michael Kimball(actually reading for the second time. Good book) and 'The Stand' by Stephen King. So far i like The Stand pretty good...but there is just something about King's books, that make it hard for me to stay interested. I like most of his stories, i guess just something about his style of writing..

Osiris
Feb 22nd, 2013, 12:29 AM
At the moment have a couple books i'm reading. One is 'Green Girls' by Michael Kimball(actually reading for the second time. Good book) and 'The Stand' by Stephen King. So far i like The Stand pretty good...but there is just something about King's books, that make it hard for me to stay interested. I like most of his stories, i guess just something about his style of writing..

King's style is pretty dry.

DrSkitz (BBB)
Mar 12th, 2013, 02:27 AM
If anyone is interested, I'm putting out the first few chapters of my zombie novel on Fbook. I'm sure there's a better way to get some feedback on it, as in "an actual blog, asshole," but I don't know nor do I care about making up a sweet looking blog when Fbook is there and ready for me to put up my stuff. So, if you want to read the world's newest zombie novel that hopefully doesn't suck dead zombo balls, find me at DrSkitz Tripple B on Fbook and send a friend request. (That's only if you want to put up a comment; if you don't, I bet you can just read whatever the hell you want to without sending a friend request. I care not either way.) I already put an excerpt up there and the first chapter, but it will take a day or two for my graphic design buddy to get me the pic he did for the cover of the novel. Till then, I'm accepting all comers provided you have a pulse. If you do not, A) why are you on Fbook? and B) why aren't you sinking your nasty zombo fangs into some hapless survivor's face somewhere? Seriously, nothing better to do with your time, you undead f***?

DrSkitz (BBB)
Mar 16th, 2013, 09:41 PM
The first three chapters are up on the Welcome To The First Day Facebook page. Please read and comment as you see fit. Depending on your reviews, I may use that Fbook page to point out to publishers that they should publish my shit. Also, you don't have to "friend" DrSkitz Tripple B; just go to this link and enjoy. Likes are liked.

http://www.facebook.com/WTTFD

Hellbringer
Mar 19th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Well, now I'm reading "seven habits of highly effective people" because it was only 99 cents for the kindle. Also reading a bunch of Persian news articles, but that's for class (and why I haven't been on for almost a month now).

Bakkie-Pleur
Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:46 AM
Currently I´m not reading that much sinch i´m really into Leviathan Chronicles, but books I have read lately are:
Ender's Game (They are making a movie of it btw with Harrison Ford!!!)
The Twelve (everybody here should read the Passage and this second part)

Libby220
Mar 23rd, 2013, 06:40 PM
I have no time to read. I do audio books. I've finished "The Haunted" by Bently Little but before then I listened to "Law and Disorder" by John E. Douglas.

Savvi
Mar 27th, 2013, 06:33 AM
I have been piling through a few books lately. Just the start of this year I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations and Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler, then Assassin's Creed Forsaken this month.

Those who played Assassin's Creed 3, the book would certainly be a good read after you completed the game. Its unlike the previous books which follow of the game story, Forsaken is before AS3. Adding more to the game.

Recently finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
And now... I am... reading.... Jurrassic Park by Michael Crichton. :]

Dinosaurs.

Bakkie-Pleur
Mar 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Today I found out about one of the classic Post Apocalyptic novels i had not heard from before, Earth Abides. I read some reviews about it until i found this "Stephen King has stated that Earth Abides was an inspiration for his post-apocalyptic novel, The Stand" SHUT UP and take my money!!!! 2 minutes later and I had it ordered! :D

Earth Abides is a 1949 post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer George R. Stewart. It tells the story of the fall of civilization from deadly disease and its rebirth. Beginning in the United States in the 1940s, it deals with Isherwood "Ish" Williams, Emma, and the community they founded. The survivors live off the remains of the old world, while learning to adapt to the new. Along the way they are forced to make tough decisions and choose what kind of civilization they will rebuild.

And while I was at it, also ordered World War Z... I almost feel ashamed on this forum I haven't read it :P

a762user
Mar 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
i am reading notes of a dirty old man by Charles Bukowski

werewolf
Apr 4th, 2013, 07:02 PM
listening to zombie fallout series. the guy that is reading it reminds me of the actor Richard Kind. I thought i would never laugh so much listening to zombie novels. check them out.

OldtypeM87
Apr 4th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I'm currently going through The Hobbit right now and hoping to get to The Lord of the Rings trilogy after that.

werewolf
Apr 10th, 2013, 08:17 PM
listening to zombie fallout series. the guy that is reading it reminds me of the actor Richard Kind. I thought i would never laugh so much listening to zombie novels. check them out.

just finished the zombie fallout series. haven't laughed so much

zombone
Apr 23rd, 2013, 03:45 PM
I am excited in reading the Zombie Fallout series, because I heard it is funny, but lately I've been completely enthralled with "Better Undead #1" on Amazon.com. It is hilarious and easy to read, I read it on my lunch break and then again when I got home. It has it's own laugh out loud moments. You should check it out.

Lilydragon
May 7th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Today I found out about one of the classic Post Apocalyptic novels i had not heard from before, Earth Abides. I read some reviews about it until i found this "Stephen King has stated that Earth Abides was an inspiration for his post-apocalyptic novel, The Stand" SHUT UP and take my money!!!! 2 minutes later and I had it ordered! :D

Earth Abides is a 1949 post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer George R. Stewart. It tells the story of the fall of civilization from deadly disease and its rebirth. Beginning in the United States in the 1940s, it deals with Isherwood "Ish" Williams, Emma, and the community they founded. The survivors live off the remains of the old world, while learning to adapt to the new. Along the way they are forced to make tough decisions and choose what kind of civilization they will rebuild.

And while I was at it, also ordered World War Z... I almost feel ashamed on this forum I haven't read it :P

Don't feel bad, I haven't read World War Z... :o

Robzombie
May 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Earth Abides, yeah thats a good one. Read it maybe 7 years ago. Read WWZ about a year ago as well but Earth Abides I think is much better. I barely remember anything about WWZ but Earth Abides has stuck with me.

Osiris
Sep 1st, 2013, 06:55 PM
Right now I'm reading:

This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin

In this groundbreaking union of art and science, rocker-turned-neuroscientist Daniel J. Levitin (The World in Six Songs) explores the connection between music, its performance, its composition, how we listen to it, why we enjoy it, and the human brain. Drawing on the latest research and on musical examples ranging from Mozart to Duke Ellington to Van Halen, Levitin reveals:

How composers produce some of the most pleasurable effects of listening to music by exploiting the way our brains make sense of the world
Why we are so emotionally attached to the music we listened to as teenagers, whether it was Fleetwood Mac, U2, or Dr. Dre
That practice, rather than talent, is the driving force behind musical expertise
How those insidious little jingles (called earworms) get stuck in our head

Taking on prominent thinkers who argue that music is nothing more than an evolutionary accident, Levitin poses that music is fundamental to our species, perhaps even more so than language. A Los Angeles Times Book Award finalist, This Is Your Brain on Music will attract readers of Oliver Sacks, as it is an unprecedented, eye-opening investigation into an obsession at the heart of human nature.

Audition by Ryu Murakami

In this gloriously over-the-top tale, Aoyama, a widower who has lived alone with his son ever since his wife died seven years before, finally decides it is time to remarry. Since Aoyama is a bit rusty when it comes to dating, a filmmaker friend proposes that, in order to attract the perfect wife, they do a casting call for a movie they don t intend to produce. As the r sum s pile up, only one of the applicants catches Aoyama s attention Yamasaki Asami a striking young former ballerina with a mysterious past. Blinded by his instant and total infatuation, Aoyama is too late in discovering that she is a far cry from the innocent young woman he imagines her to be. The novel s fast-paced, thriller conclusion doesn t spare the reader as Yamasaki takes off her angelic mask and reveals what lies beneath.

Real World by Natsuo Kirino

In a crowded Tokyo suburb, four teenage girls indifferently wade their way through a hot, smoggy summer. When one of them, Toshi, discovers that her nextdoor neighbor has been brutally murdered, the girls suspect the killer is the neighbor's son. But when he flees, taking Toshi's bike and cell phone with him, the four girls get caught up in a tempest of dangers that rise from within them as well as from the world around them. Psychologically intricate and astute, Real World is a searing, eye-opening portrait of teenage life in Japan unlike any we have seen before.

Also, re-reading:

Valdez Is Coming by Elmore Leonard

They laughed at Roberto Valdez and then ignored him. But when a dark-skinned man was holed up in a shack with a gun, they sent the part-time town constable to deal with the problem—and made sure he had no choice but to gun the fugitive down. Trouble was, Valdez killed an innocent man. And when he asked for justice—and some money for the dead man’s woman—they beat Valdez and tied him to a cross. They were still laughing when Valdez came back. And then they began to die.

Opium Fiend: A 21st Century Slave To A 19th Century Addiction by Steven Martin

A renowned authority on the secret world of opium recounts his descent into ruinous obsession with one of the world’s oldest and most seductive drugs, in this harrowing memoir of addiction and recovery.

A natural-born collector with a nose for exotic adventure, San Diego–born Steven Martin followed his bliss to Southeast Asia, where he found work as a freelance journalist. While researching an article about the vanishing culture of opium smoking, he was inspired to begin collecting rare nineteenth-century opium-smoking equipment. Over time, he amassed a valuable assortment of exquisite pipes, antique lamps, and other opium-related accessories—and began putting it all to use by smoking an extremely potent form of the drug called chandu. But what started out as recreational use grew into a thirty-pipe-a-day habit that consumed Martin’s every waking hour, left him incapable of work, and exacted a frightful physical and financial toll. In passages that will send a chill up the spine of anyone who has ever lived in the shadow of substance abuse, Martin chronicles his efforts to control and then conquer his addiction—from quitting cold turkey to taking “the cure” at a Buddhist monastery in the Thai countryside.

At once a powerful personal story and a fascinating historical survey, Opium Fiend brims with anecdotes and lore surrounding the drug that some have called the methamphetamine of the nineteenth-century. It recalls the heyday of opium smoking in the United States and Europe and takes us inside the befogged opium dens of China, Thailand, Vietnam, and Laos. The drug’s beguiling effects are described in vivid detail—as are the excruciating pains of withdrawal—and there are intoxicating tales of pipes shared with an eclectic collection of opium aficionados, from Dutch dilettantes to hard-core addicts to world-weary foreign correspondents.

A compelling tale of one man’s transformation from respected scholar to hapless drug slave, Opium Fiend puts us under opium’s spell alongside its protagonist, allowing contemporary readers to experience anew the insidious allure of a diabolical vice that the world has all but forgotten.

Osiris
Dec 11th, 2013, 11:59 PM
*blows dust off old thread*

Suuuup. What's everyone readin', huh?

I recently finished...

Neuromancer
by
William Gibson

I think it's probably my favourite book ever as far as sci-fi goes. I'd been meaning to get around to it for years, and years. I don't have a good excuse for not cracking it open, but I'm immensely glad I did. I didn't make it through the first chapter before I was on my way to the local big box book&coffee chain store to pick up the next two in the trilogy (Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive). Unfortunately, the book store only had Count Zero in trade, so I was forced to spend a few days searching the internet for Mona Lisa Overdrive in trade. I've got a weird thing about the size and shape of book I buy. I have a preference for trades, and refuse mass-bound paperback as a viable substitute for hardcover.

Anyway, Neuromancer is amazing. If I were to liken it to something modern, I'd say it's The Matrix before The Matrix. Not at all an exaggeration.

Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway--jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way--and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance--and a cure--for a price....

It's engaging. It's well-paced. Thoughtful. Oh, and there's a girl with sunglasses for eyes. Yeah. It's a good read. Liked it a lot.

If that doesn't pique your curiosity, I'll leave you with the the opening line:

The sky was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Sadly, it's all I've had time to read since finishing off NaNoWriMo, but I aim to crack something in the next day or two.

Solanine
Dec 12th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Huh Neuromancer? I'm going to be honest I never really dug it. For me it fell into the same trap as a lot of cyberpunk stuff, it faked depth where there was none.
You can speak all the gibberish about hacking computers you like, if you don't explain how any of it works (and you really need to in this case) then you can't expect anything happening during those sequences to have any real meaning. All I got out of those sequences was the net result e.g. someone had to disconnect, a door is now open etc etc.

Currently reading the Foundation trilogy. Possibly no.2 in my top five scifi (right after "Do androids dream of electric sheep").